Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

cappycorn
New Contributor

Hell on Earth but doing my best

I'm like totally devastated by the hell of systemic murders by supremacist police officers in the US & in Australia, the weight of the death & the weight of the devastation seems so unmatchably fucked that I can't see through my own powerlessness. I think back to protests where my strength became obviously no match for police, I struggle to keep up with the idea that all the people holding power are too much like my dad - viciously perverted & hellbent on dehumanising those they share the world (or house) with. It's traumatising to know that our lives are characterised by lethal injustice at every section of being othered, made weak. I want to be made into a pillar of like complete strength, I want to imagine that I could actively & truly protect myself, my friends and other marginalised people who are at risk of torture due to the power imbalances of the world. I feel so weak & so under the boot of this shit right now. Why does strength feel so necessary and elusive, why do we learn every time that we are throwing ourselves against c*nts with resources & structural support of immensity that completely attempt to decimate the efforts of us all as we try our hardest? I want to feel stronger.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Hell on Earth but doing my best

Hi @cappycorn, I noticed you are a new member - welcome! I hope you find this to be a safe and supportive environment. 

A lot of people have been hit really hard by this injustice. I can hear your anger and frustration through your words. Please know that we are sitting with you in these difficult feelings. I hope your peers here are able to offer some support. 

Kind regards, Peregrinefalcon 

Re: Hell on Earth but doing my best

Hi @cappycorn,

I have the same thought as you: why do we need to be strong?

I had even seen a billboard-sized ad on the train station by a local NGO depicting an image of a sad looking young girl accompanied by a text saying: Please don't tell me to be strong! 

Honestly, I thoroughly agree with this young girl. 

After giving much thoughts, I realised we only need strength when we fall; in times of sick, in times of bad accidents, in times of injustice, in times of abuse. But when people around us responded with much love and care, people tend to heal faster. And those injustice, abuse, accidents or even illnesses may not even there to begin with. 

So do we need to be strong? The animals in the books "Unlikely Friendships" and "Unlikely Loves" show us the otherwise. A cheetah can be friends and gentle towards a dog. A seal and a cat can make the closest friendship even though they live in a completely different environment. If even animals understand such virtues, why can't humans be the same?

In such world, no one has to be strong. We just have to be kind to each other. 

Finding the right people and environment for yourself might change your perspective on life. If others act kindly, why wouldn't you return the same? Once you are used to such environment, your actions will naturally radiate sincerity and kindness even to those who are oppressive that you may made them realise that it's unnecessary to step on others. Because such world does exist even amongst the animals. Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance