Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Cheiko81
New Contributor

Frustrated

Just seeking advice from others on these forums. My partner has paranoid schizophrenia and was diagnosed before I met him, so I knew what I was getting into before starting a relationship with him. Over the last couple of months he has been having delusions about his family which esculated but called the crisis mental health team to step in. They changed his dosages of his meds so he takes half his dose ( morning anf then night) and he has a psychiatrist appt in the next month. Everything appeared to be going well but now he is having the same delusions again. Its getting really frustrating!! To the point its making me angry at him!! I know they say not to argue with the delusions but its so frustrating! Just looking for some tips to handle the frustration, its really getting to me. On top of this his family are asking me questions about his meds amd if he should change them cause they are not working.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Frustrated

Hi @Cheiko81,

This is from one of the Sane Facts and Guides, "It commonly takes up to six weeks from your first dose for medication to start reducing symptoms, and several months before you feel their full effect."

Sometimes the frustration comes from expecting positive improvements to happen in a relatively short timeframe, like a week or two weeks or a month. Also, there might be a lingering and unstated assumption that the person does actually have some control over their delusions and can "snap out of it" if they try hard enough. But they can't.

Regarding delusions, my son has Sz and we've had to deal with many odd ideas over the years. I've learned not to react to some things that he says; no positive reaction, no negative reaction, just let it go. I'm not ignoring, just choosing to not react. However sometimes that's not a safe option and I try to deflect or modify the idea, or modify the actions that follow the idea.  Once the meds start working the strength of the delusions dissipates but you've got to get to that point. In the absence of side effects, I'd suggest you wait and see what the psychiatrist has to say at the next appointment.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Cheiko81 @patientpatient

I was firstly very touched by the fact that you have entered into a relationship with someone who has a diagnosis of schizophrenia.

In order to do that you both have had to be totally honest with one another as well as supportive.

As a parent who has an adult son with that very same diagnosis, I am moved to know that there is hope for my son to one day have a quality of life.

Everything that @patientpatient has explained to you is invaluable from firsthand experience of caring for his son.

I would suggest that you look into some care for yourself. You are entitled to some free counselling sessions referral from go. Ring carers Australia for information.

good luck. Thank you for writing and please keep doing so.

Attahua
Senior Contributor

I too knew my partner had schizophrenia when we first met and have stood by him through his relapses but it's so hard when you find yourself slipping into a carers role ??!!!! My biggest issue at the moment is even medicated he is starting to have 'moments' of rambling that does t make sense and in my past experiences with him this is usually the beginning of a slow decline but since he is medicated I simply cannot understand why this is happening??!!! 

Hi @Attahua. Perhaps the dose needs to be increased for a while. My son has been on varying (medium to high to medium) doses of an anti-psychotic. Lately the psych has decided that the medication is becoming less effective and is very gradually reducing the dose and introducing another medication. Also, I think the illness itself isn't static so it is very hard to understand why weird stuff keeps happening. 'Frustrated' is a good word for it.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @patientpatient @Cheiko81 @Attahua @Grasshopper3 @Jo @Former-Member

thinking of you all dealing with an illness where so much is not known.

standing by your loved ones as they try to have a reasonable life each day.

I wish for us all some relief and special moments with our loved ones.

For our loved ones I wish continuing hope, perseverance, love, fun and a quality of life.

For those of you who live with the illness, I have the greatest respect and admiration for you.

We feel the struggle with those close to us, yet could not possibly know what it would be like to be a person with the illness experiencing such powerful, overwhelming symptoms.

Take  care all

I actually think he may still be on the highest dose since last hospitalisation two years ago..... not yet even on a maintenance dose 😱
Jo
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member   Thanks so much. Heart-warming words !   X

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance