Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: D.I.D....

That sounds like a great way to spend the day @Smc, everyone doing something fun Heart 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Much needed R&R, @Ali11.

Former-Member
Not applicable

How are you going @Smc 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Tired @Former-Member... 5 am phone call from Older Daughter, she couldn't sleep due to nightmares. These middle of the night phonecalls are exhausting. The phone rings, there's an immediate adreniline rush reaction because I'm suddenly expecting an emergency, jumping out of bed to try to catch it before it rings out, and then regardless of whether it's actually an emergency or not, the heartbeat is doing double quick time, and the mind as well, so getting back to sleep isn't easy. Am trying to reinstate our old emphasis that calls after 9pm should be emergency only. Nightmares and sleeplessness are highly unpleasant, but are not an emergency.

Other news... her back abcess seems to be healing up OK.

Mum's gashed leg seems to be healing too, going by her phone report, but she also told me that a close family friend has been injured by a car backing in to her. Hoping she's OK. She's a determined and cheerful minded lady, but already had some health problems.

And a case worker from MHS referred us to a local area carer support lady, so we've scheduled a "get to know each other" cuppa for next Monday.

Smc
Senior Contributor

Another ER visit last night. She rang us about it lunctime today. 😞

The dividing line between SH and SI gets really hazy sometimes. On one hand, the "intent" is there. On the other, she's planning her next craft project. ?? 

But regardless of where the line falls, last night was one of the ones that could have been much more dangerous. And it's a bit "out of pattern" too.

She's having nightmares, including one about her paternal grandmother passing. Ok... 3 out of her 4 grandparents are not in good health, all of them are getting older, but too often she's the one we're worried about losing. And it raises questions about how she'll cope when an inevitable old-age passage happens.

Me... my most disturbing dreams are the one second long ones where I think the phone has just started ringing. Only takes a moment longer to realise it's not, but "I'm awake now!".

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc  I think that line becomes more blurred when a person we love is involved.  

Do you have a psychologist or counselor that can help you as you negotiate your way through this valley?

Smc
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member, we see a psychologist regularly for "us". We've got a lot of support, but there's so little anyone can do to keep her safe. Really, she's the only one who can do so, and that means she both has to want to, and has to believe she can do so.

She made a second visit to the ER on the urging of a mental health worker (I think? I wasn't familiar with the name). No admission. Which I understand. The psychiatrist in charge is concerned that the short term "fix" of admitting her will do more harm in the long term. However, in the short term, all the options end up coming back to her mindset, which isn't in a great place right now. 😞 We went in to give her a lift home. Am hoping she's OK tonight.

Thinking of you @Smc 

Wish there was more I could say. Trying to find something but just wanted to let you know you and family are in thoughts and prayers. 

Smc
Senior Contributor

Thanks @Determined. Not knowing what to say is OK. And we appreciate the thoughts. and the prayers even more so.

Younger Daughter desperately wanted to stay home from school today. She did get up, dressed, and left in time for the bus. If she'd stuck to her bed like a limpet, quite frankly, we couldn't have done anything about it. We gave her a big "family hug" and thanked her before she left.
Somehow normal routine things have to keep going in the middle of all of this "doesn't make sense" stuff. 😞 Each wave has way too much backwash, and we all get swept off balance by it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance