Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Concernedsis77
Casual Contributor

Concerned for my younger sister

Hi, my family are very worried. My younger sister is showing small  signs of schizophrenia on amd off for a few years, but the last 5 monthes it seems to be exacerbated.  My Dad's sister was diagnosed with it a long time ago. My sister, who is in her early to mid 30s is displaying a lot of paranoia about her neighbours bugging her house, her phone being tapped, spy cameras andd ppl down the street looking at her funny. My family went and saw her today, coming from a place of 'peace, wanting to be her safe place. She arks up and digs her heels in and feels attacked, if any of siblings pressure her to get help. Obviously she thinks there is nothing wrong with her. We realise that we have to tread very carefully. Her boyfriend, who is going back home (overseas) is either clueless, an enabler, in denial or doesn't know how to handle, seems to support her 'ideas'.He seems quite intelligent and  seems to be pretty sure that someone was using her IP address/spoofing, so maybe, if that was happening, its caused him to believe everything else is true I get that there is a degree of 'humouring' her involved. But, he hasn't expressed concern to us at all. He and my sister are furiously loyal anf perhaps very co dependent.

We realise this will take time. 

But myquestion is how do you get help and an assessment done on someone who thinks there is nothing wrong. She lives near Melbourne. We realise it's baby steps and trust needs to be there. She trusts one of my sisters more, so she will probably be the go to when it comes to approaching my younger sister. Help please 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Concerned for my younger sister

Hi @Concernedsis77,

Welcome to the forums. It is great that you have reached out. I'm sorry to read about what your sister, you and your family are going through at the moment.  It sounds like a very challenging time and I can see how much you and your family are concerned for your sister. 

You are right when you say this will take time and a lot of trust on your sister behalf. It is incredibly challenging to try to and get someone support if they do not want / believe they need it. Could you speak to your GP about how your sister is presenting and maybe get a doctor's opinion on what he/she may think could be going on with your sister, and how best to proceed?

I think you are on the right track in trying to get your sister some help /assessment by having the family member your sister trusts the most too slowly and gently try and engage your sister to at least being open to seeking some professional help. Unfortunately (from what I understand) at the end of the day if your sister is adamant that she does not want / think she needs help there really isn't a lot someone can do to force it unless she becomes a danger to herself or others. 

Perhaps others on the forums would have had experience / or could offer advice in relation this? 

Wishing you all the best,

FloatingFeather

Hi @Concernedsis77 and welcome. I agree with @FloatingFeather. It can be really difficult to get your sister assessed without her wanting to, especially being an adult and sadly yes it comes down to whether she is a threat to herself or others. I’m sorry your family and sister are facing this. Hopefully with gentle persuasion your other sister can convince her to seek the help she needs and deserves. 

Thankyou so much! I appreciate it!

Thanks heaps!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance