Forums Home

Carers Forum

Acceptance, connection, support. Share the journey.

Safe, anonymous discussion for people living with mental illness, moderated 24/7 by mental health professionals.

Read the community guidelines
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

New Contributor

American With Loved One Living in AU

Hello everyone,

As my title suggests, I’m an American living in the States with an older sibling who moved to Australia (Victoria) several years ago. My sister is battling substance use problems (alcohol), mental health issues, suicidal thoughts, and is involved in an abusive relationship. I often feel helpless as I live so far away while she jumps from crisis to crisis and is quite isolated. I’m here to try to find resources for her and see if there’s anything I would be able to do (e.g., call an international crisis hotline, get in contact with authorities, etc.) if there ever was an emergency that warranted immediate action. If anyone has any suggestions or resources they could point me to, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much for whatever advice you can lend me.


Re: American With Loved One Living in AU

Hi @JadeOctober,

Welcome to the forums! Victoria has a number of services that may be suitable for your sister:

DirectLine (Alcohol and other drugs): 1800 888 236
Beyond Blue (Anxiety and Depression): 1300 22 4636
Lifeline (Crisis support and suicide prevention): 13 11 14
1800 RESPECT (Domestic violence):  1800 737 732

In terms of situations that warrant immediate action, the nationwide emergency services contact number is 000.

I hope these resources are helpful for you.

Take care,

For urgent assistance, call: