Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lwell
New Contributor

10 year old mood disorder?

I’m new here, and currently struggling with my 10 year old daughter. 

I’ve suspected there was something not right since she was four. At seven she was diagnosed with GAD and seperation anxiety disorder. We saw the GP for a mental health plan and received sessions with a psychologist with zero improvement. At nearly eight she saw a child psychiatrist and was put on medication for anxiety, with great improvement within a week.

Tried coming off the medication at nine without success. When not medicated she is highly irritable, argumentative at home, moody and feelings of hopelessness. She is brilliant at school, highly involved in extra curricular programs, sport and music. She is a high achiever receiving principal’s honour roll for academic achievement and appears popular at school. Her symptoms have become worse lately with some stress triggers at school. We’ve tried increasing the dosage with no improvement.

Her mood completely rules the house. Between 7pm and 10pm she will argue, rant, cry, weep and storm throughout the house until finally falling asleep. In the morning, she is irritable and unpleasant to be around but goes off to school. After school, she is moody and non compliant, unless with her friends, then she is delightful. 

He behaviour is affecting everyone in the house and as her mother I feel distraught. She is booked in to start sessions with a new psychologist this week, waiting times to see her psychiatrist about medication changes are 4 months. I’m worried this behaviour is a precursor to more serious lifelong diagnosis such as bipolar or major depression.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: 10 year old mood disorder?

hi @Lwell and welcome to you.
I don't have kids myself but can sense your distress, overwhelm and just wanting to help her as much as you can.

I don't really have any experience in this area but wondered if @Smc @greenpea or @eth may be able to provide some advice on what might help

@Lwell  Hey Lwell and welcome to the forum. I have a son2 who was diagnosed with autism at 2 1/2, epilepsy soon after that and then childhood schizophrenia at around 5 if I remember correctly. Do not worry you are not alone. There are many parents out there struggling with their children particularly during the teenage years (they are the worst believe me and then most of the time things calm down after that).

Try not to worry about things that havent happened yet and just concentrate on the now.  Do however be prepared for teenagehood as I say that is the worst time in my experience. The right medication and a great psychiatrist helped our family survive (not in one piece but survive). Am here if you want to talk. pea

ps: if you want to talk with someone specifically put a @in front of their name and that will notify them of your post.

Hi @Lwell  and welcome from me too.  I can hear that you are having a very hard time of it with what's happening with your child.  Sorry, I don't have experience of a younger child being diagnosed and medication managed.  My child's worse problems didn't hit the surface until mid teens massive rages and depression periods, and still they were never diagnosed with a particular MH issue or ever medicated.  Only found out when they were mid-20s that they'd had body dysphoria most of their life (lots of guilt about that, but we didn't know and they didn't have the language to tell me how it was for them at the time).  Also didn't know how badly they were bullied (and worse) when at school, even in the primary years, as my partner at the time told them not to tell me (all kinds of wrong, he wasn't their  parent).

Sorry, that's enough of my story.  Sending you lots of support and happy to listen any time.  @Shaz51  or @Faith-and-Hope  might be able to recommend others with similar challenges. Take care.

Hi @Lwell and welcome to the forums.  I just wanted to stop in and say hi 👋 but I am running with uni submissions for a few days, and don’t have a lot of head space at the moment.  I will be back to chat with you when I can, but please

know you are being heard and understood.  It’s so great you are here.  The forums have been a real support for me for the last three years.

💐 F&H

hello and hugs @Lwell 

we are here for you my friend

my husband has been diagnosed with SAD, GAD , Inherited depression  and MDD , major depression disorder and now diagnosed with bipolar !!

so walking with you xx

Thanks for everyone’s replies. We have found a wonderful psychologist this time so hopefully that will help. It just such a misunderstood problem, and hard to find other parents going through the same thing.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance