Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Bubbles3
Senior Contributor

for all the people who have given up smoking..... how did you do it

hi everyone

i want to give up smoking at some stage (not just yet) but at some stage. i have lung disease (RB-ILD) and emphysema and i really do need to stop smoking. i do enjoy smoking and i smoke alot and when i say alot , i mean alot, . 1 big packet of 55gm of tabacco will last me 2 day the most if im lucky. 

i was wondering for the people how has given up smoking.......

how did they do it

how hard was it

what made you want to quite ( becuase beig told i have lungs like a 60 year ols still hasnt made me give up) and im only 32

• "What made you want to start smoking?"
  • "What things make you crave a cigarette?"
  • "What made you decide to quit smoking?"
  • "What things have been stressing you out lately?"
  • "What could I do to help make quitting easier for you?
  • Chew gum or slowly eat hard candy.
  • Put a straw or toothpick in your mouth.
  • Switch tasks for a change of scenery.
  • Play with a rubber band.
  • Munch on some carrot sticks, nuts, or celery.
  • Squeeze a stress ball.
  • Take deep breaths and try to relax.
  • Drink lots of water.

what are some of these things you did to help you give up

14 REPLIES 14

Re: for all the people who have given up smoking..... how did you do it

@Bubbles3 Hi Bubbles3 I used to smoke alot and gave up cold turkey in my early twenties ... the reason was I woke up one night with massive pains in my chest ... like bricks. I thought I was having a heart attack ... it was enough for me at long last to stop and because I made that decision freely I didn't need to worry about cravings like I had suffered in the past.

You'll get there ... something will make you give them up when the time is right you will want to and you will.

@greenpea
even when i have pneumonia and im in hospital with oxygen on, i still want to go outside for a smoke, the docs hate but they cant stop me. i dont know what wrong with me. ill guess ill learn the hard way.

😞

Aw @Bubbles3

That can be really hard

The first thing is to work out why you are smoking - ah yes - I was getting pretty agro with a guy I was friends with but went on smoking after we went our seperate ways - so guess what - I liked it

But concern for my health won in time and I worked out that having a mobile phone was a better way of spending my limited income - and then I could play the games in the phone to keep my hands busy

One thing surprised me was the URGE - I still get that - what? - 15 years later - there are times when I could reach over and grab a cigarette out of someone else's hand - as the years have gone on this has become less but it can happen - the urge I mean - not grabbing one out of someone else's hand

I never really had cravings - so I guess I wasn't addicted - the hard part was stopping something I enjoyed I guess

And drinking water and chewing sugar free gum helped - as well as keeping my hards busy - getting onto the internet probably helped with that too

All the best @Bubbles3 - and think about it for a while but be committed - and during that time try and put off each smoke to smoke less

Dec

thanks for your info @Owlunar

Hi @Bubbles3 ...been a long time since I had a smoke. I peaked at 40 a day in my late twenties - I'm 50 now. I think I smoke so much I actually got sick of it. With me quitting was more of a choice to change other aspects of my life including illegal substances so I guess I would call it a multi-faceted approach to clean myself up. With the cigarettes I didn't quit cold-turkey.... I slowly reduced the number I had each day over about six months until I was down to one a day after dinner and eventually it just wasn't pleasant any more so that was the end - no more smokes. I haven't had one in years but I find the smell still vaguely pleasant... i don't think you ever get completely over it but I'm sure if I had one now it would taste disgusting. In times of really bad stress I still think "man, I really need a smoke" but I know how expensive they are now and I'm tight with money so I don't give in to temptation. Good luck - you can do it.

Hey @Bubbles3,

I dont know if you have heard of the book...

Its called The Easyway to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr.

It encourages you to smoke while reading the book and by the end of the book... you will not be a smoker. sounds to good to be true right? it isnt. i quit using this book.My mum quit, my brother and his best friend, i also know a few other people who quit from it too.

It has been 8 months and i havent had a ciggie and it was the easiest thing in the world. -even ahnging around my partner who still smokes is not an issue. I went away too and didnt need a smoke even in Vegas, where you can literally smoke indoors. 

I had been smoking from the age of 13 to 26 and had never quit in the whole time. i didnt think it was possible... i was desperate and this book was a godsend. I think you should give it a read. im pretty sure you can find the pdf of it online. thats how iread it on my phone.

Good luck,

Tama

@eudemonism, @Sophia1

this is another  thread

@tama, @Bubbles3, @Former-Member, @Owlunar, @greenpea

Hi @Bubbles3@tama@Former-Member @Owlunar @greenpea I'm in the early stages of stopping smoking.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance