Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Marg
Casual Contributor

i will try again, chickened out last time

I am the mother of a 30 year old Schizophrenic son.  I have raised him on my own and we have had many ups and downs over the years but generally it's been workable.  2 years ago he went off medication and was cut off from the services because they said if he doesn't want meds there was nothing for them to do for him.  Admittedly he was never very cooperative with them, he only attended because of the CTO.  He receives no Centrelink because he won't attend appointment with doctors as he believes they will medicate him.  No money means he no longer does drugs because he can't afford them and I won't give him money.  I thought this would be good,healthier but it has bought out the voices and personalities which keeps me awake at night and I have to work.  I can no longer cope.  I don't know where to start to find help as he won't agree.  Sorry for rambling but any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 facts about me

i love my garden

i work in a high pressure job with a large company

i love my son

5 REPLIES 5

Re: i will try again, chickened out last time

Hello @Marg, I also have a (late-20's) son with Sz. I doubt that he/we could ever manage without medication and support from a psychiatrist and psychologist. When things got really difficult, we called the Crisis and Assessment Team which resulted in an involuntary hospital stay and then CTO. Meds took a long time to work and it was hard to find the right medication and dose, and there were side effects, and relapses even with meds. If you search the forum for "schizophrenia" you'll find lots of discussion and info. Many carers here trying to manage and cope with sons and daughters with Sz (mostly sons, it seems from the posts).

Thanks.  I have had crisis support out and he has been hospitalised but when he was younger now I have him taken to hospital and an hour later I'm to.d he presented well so we released him.  If I hear he presented well again I will scream.  Last time 3 paramedics and 2 police took him in and he was out with 60 minutes.

Hi @Marg. In our case, a GP referred my son straight to hospital and, even with the referral, it took many hours for admission. Second hospitalisation (in a different state) was with help of CATT and they were involved for several days before admission. Both times family members accompanied him to hospital and he attended a major public hospital. Do you keep a history of your son's illness and treatment? Is your GP able to help?  I imagine his behaviour was very concerning for police to be called. Hopefully some other forum members can help out.

Hi @Marg and @patientpatient 🙂

Just wanted to check in and see how things are in your worlds? 

@Marg has anything changed with your son since your first post? How are you managing with things at home? 

Hi @Pebbles, still here. I've been reading other discussions and many here are dealing with much more serious difficulties than we have. In our little world we're dealing with medication side effects. For some unclear reason after reducing the doses, severe fatigue has set in. This wasn't a problem before on super-high doses. Also the carer has the flu so he's tired as well. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance