Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

30something
Casual Contributor

bad job interview rant - looking for work after a covid-19 redundancy

I had a job interview on Friday, my first real face to face one I have had since I lost my job at the beginning of April, (a job where I had been working steadily for nearly 6 years).  The interview was a disaster for a number of different reasons.  My anxiety was out of control and they asked some really unnessersary and just plain stupid qustions which only made my anxiety worse.  The job was for a data entry clerk (a 6 month temp role) where I would be entering text into a spreadsheet, (not very complicated!) so i didn't anticipate there being a 3 person panel for this role and I didn't overly prepare for it either.  I walked into this room of three people, and on realising that there were three of them, my eyes immediately dropped to the floor, my body language shifted (I put my back to them, oops!), and I got very shakey (I have social anxiety, but I don't normally act like that).  The questions on the surface seemed to be pretty easy, 'tell us about yourself' and 'what type of skills do you have that would suit this role', but after that they started probing me more about the years between when I finished uni (back in 2001) to how I got to where I am today, "why have I changed jobs so often?', 'why are there gaps?'.  Talking about my eariler years of uni and early worklife (I got bullied and hated my job) is hard for me and of course I didn't say any of this to the interviewers, but it triggered all sorts of thoughts in my head.  Anyway, I dropped out of a Bachelor of IT, and swtiched to Bachelor of Arts, for really no other reason then because of "boyfriend issues" and because the career councellor told me I should (why would they even need to know this??).  I did however complete my Arts degree depite not being very engaged or interested in the subjects (Anthropology and Politics), I then spent several years unemployed and aimless trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.  I then had a couple of meaningless reception and admin jobs.  About 5 years later I stumbled into my accidental "career" in records management which suits my introverted personality a lot better then reception.  So I would say the jobs I have done in my life actually have very little to do with my "hobbies or interests" and more to do with doing something that I could cope with, as someone with an introverted and shy personality.  They did also ask "where did I see myself in 5 years" and "why did I study anthropology".  Again, this interview was for a data entry job, where I would be doing mind numbing work updating an 'equipment inventory' spreadsheet in excel, so I have no idea why they would even want to know these things!  They seemed like nice enough people, who through no fault of their own, were just reading a script which was cleary designed for a school leaver not designed for a 41 year old with 15 years of experience.  I did actually want this incredibly boring job, but I don't think I am going to get it now so i am really kicking myself about it right now (writing this at 4.30am b.t.w).  I can't understand sometimes why a person has to be "interested" and "enthusiastic" to be able to just turn up at work and perform a job to their best ability, sometimes a job is just a job and it pays the bills!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: bad job interview rant - looking for work after a covid-19 redundancy

@30something  Hi there.

I must admit, if I was interviewed by three people, without prior notice, I would have been extremely anxious also.

It sounds like a pretty intense interview, with some strange, ( and unnecessary) questions. I think we have a right to our privacy whatever the circumstances.

I hope you get the job. 

Hi @30something , I think that job interview would throw anyone! And I agree, sometimes a job is just a job to pay the bills, and that's fine. 

@30something wrote:

About 5 years later I stumbled into my accidental "career" in records management which suits my introverted personality a lot better then reception.  So I would say the jobs I have done in my life actually have very little to do with my "hobbies or interests" and more to do with doing something that I could cope with, as someone with an introverted and shy personality. 

I really hope you get this job, or a similar one that suits your temperament. Records management sounded ideal...I hope you can get back into that if possible. Good luck!

Hey there @30something

I hear you. I really do.

I am 26 and stuck in a job I really don't find good for my mental health

It's hare these days on many of us due to the work scenario.

I am feeling for you

can relate to that, on a bad day i'm all over the place, have done a couple of really lame interviews.  it doesn't help that they didn[t know what the roles would entail either, expected multiple interviews for a casual job at a not for profit etc. 

Heya @30something just wondering how you're travelling now? We're here to listen and sit alongside you as you need Heart

update: I managed to get myself a temp job in my chosen field, I have been working now for 2 and half months.  Temp jobs have some advantages, the interview process for it was less far formal, in fact I was the only person interviewed for this job.  I am however still experiencing a fair amount of anxiety and I feel quite depressed about loosing my previous job.  I miss my former work collegues a great deal 😞 . I'm not really in touch with any of them now so I don't know if I will ever see them again and I didn't get to say goodbye!  I haven't made too many connections where I live, I have zero friends and I don't know if I am likely to make friends at the new job, I am very shy and don't make friends easily.  I don't know when I will stop grieving for my old job. 😞

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance