Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Flying_Hams
Community Guide

Where things are at

Haven't been posting on here as much lately. 

Been going through a fair bit and coming to terms with the past. 

The book I have been reading was really helpful too - When The Body Says No by Gabor Mate

I have also implemented new coping strategies and lately when I have felt really bad i call a support line like i did the other day. 

I am on the mend in other words

Just humbly getting by and taking each day as it comes. Having to shake the old mentalities and stop rumination and also maintain a better sense of self respect in the face of what I have dealt with over the years. 

Radical self compassion

Acceptance - The willingness to accept things as they are. The courage to permit negative thinking to inform our understanding w/o allowing it to define our approach to the future. 
Awareness - Learning what the signs of stress are in our own bodies, how our bodies telegraph us when our minds have missed the cues 
Anger - the energy that nature gives us as kids to stand forward on our behalf to say that I matter. This does not invade other's boundaries
Autonomy - The development of the internal centre of control. 
Attachment - Connection with the world. Healing requires and implies regaining vulnerability that made us shut down emotionally in the first place. We permit ourselves to honour the universal need for connection. 
Assertion - The declaration to ourselves and to the world that we are and that we are who we are

Affirmation - To make a positive statement, to move towards something of value. 

@Former-Member @TAB @StuF @SmilingGecko @Bow @Christheart and whoever else reads this

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Where things are at

@Flying_Hams nice to hear from you
Yes you do not do brevity lol

Good to hear where things are at @Flying_Hams  🙂

No way @TAB Lol

@StuF 🙂

Goodo @Flying_Hams lol

brevity is next to godliness maybe haha

Hi @Flying_Hams,

What you have written about radical self compassion is really interesting - some very insightful points. Really appreciate you sharing this.

Hope the day is good to you and look forward to seeing you in the forums.

Best wishes,

FloatingFeather 

Hey there @Flying_Hams 

It's so great to hear things are progressing in a positive direction for you. Sounds like you have been doing lots of hard work to get you to a better place. Yay for you! 

Just want to say how good it is to read your post.

Warmest wishes

Hanami 💮

Hey @FloatingFeather @hanami

Many thanks for your support.

Its such a weird time to be alive these days. Self compassion is key.

See ya round

@Flying_Hams 

Gabor Mate is a pretty interesting character but I think in the mental health space, we all seem to aim for some mythical version of what society wants from us.  Gabor is excellent as his focuses on what is needed to health us from the body and how to use the body to detoxify the mind. 

You are making progress and that is awesome.  Please take some time out to celebrate this progress @Flying_Hams , not every day is going to be up but I guarantee when you are 50, looking back at now, you will be proud of the foundations you are laying towards a fulfilling life. 

As always, we are here if you need to chat or vent.  🙂  I am so proud to be able to be here and witness your journey and thank you for sharing. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance