Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Ups and Downs of Husband`s Mental Illness

Hi @Faith-and-Hope 

I can understand where you’re coming from. My hubby was undiagnosed/misdiagnosed for almost 18 years. It’s such a difficult situation to deal with. I lived like I was walking on egg shells constantly and always felt so deflated.

It took a major blow up for him to finally seek help and find a great psychiatrist who diagnosed his BiPolar II. It’s been about 3 months now, and him being medicated for me to see some improvement.

Big hugs 🤗

Thanks so much @Georgie_Girl .  It’s been ten years for us, and I am having to embrace the decline of marriage and family in the wake of it ..... suffering the indignity of advice from well-meaning others who think, from their outside view, that I am the problem.

It’s such a relief to come across people who, unfortunately, understand from living the same sort of experience.

So sorry to hear about your beloved fur baby @Georgie_Girl HeartHeart

advice from well-meaning others who think, from their outside view, that I am the problem.--- sending you understanding hugs @Faith-and-Hope 

as the last Mental health team  mr shaz saw said "I was the problem "

this i why mr shaz had cancelled all help

Hello @Former-Member , @greenpea , @Former-Member 

Hugs back to you @Shaz51 ❤️

I totally get it @Faith-and-Hope 

My hubby and his mother both see me as the problem. Their argument being that if the kids and I just kept the house sterile and did everything we were told - it wouldn’t spark his anger. WTF!

There is no way I’m living like that - and they both know that! He needs to work with his moods and reactions to situations, rather than expecting everyone else to change.

One day at a time 🙃

@Georgie_Girl, @Faith-and-Hope, @Former-Member 

When I married Mr shaz

I heard my mother-inlaw talking and she said "now shaz can fix my son now "

What !!!!

Mine took over everyone and  everything @Georgie_Girl @Shaz51 and started railroading, with mil telling him that she had said I was doing everything wrong from the start ..... so now he had to fix it .... the kids, the house, me ..... and get himself into the family image of perfection.  And yes, the house was supposed to be sterile, and the kids and me acting like automons (pick the control issue) ..... until the kids started to fall apart, and the relationships definitely did.  

Professional help stepped in, with the wrong end of the stick 😳:face_with_rolling_eyes::face_with_rolling_eyes::face_with_rolling_eyes:😬🥵😡🤬 ..... but it did mean that the kids got meds support, and I think the professional help worked out that they had to wrong end of the stick by the end of it, but the damage was done ..... they couldn’t change course without crashing everything, the kids included.  In one sense it’s bwtter in that they called some boundaries on hubby’s behaviour around the kids.

Yeah ..... whole lotta WTF in there ..... and sorry to hear you have a dragon mil too @Georgie_Girl 😔

Big hugs incoming to both of you.

sorry to hear you have a dragon mil too @Georgie_Girl , @Faith-and-Hope Heart

My MIL is sooo negative , she lives 35 kms away

but mr shaz can only take little visit far apart

last time we visited , mr shaz was  mess for the whole weekend

@Shaz51  Hey Shaz51 what did they do just come out and say that you were the problem? how rude and insensitive is that!! Smiley Mad

Hey all @greenpea @Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope @Georgie_Girl.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of us have been in the spot of being supposedly the one at fault at some point.
We were blamed for our son's learning difficulties at one point (but fully exonerated by a neuropsych at a later date) and... when you take a teenage girl into emergency with psych symptoms that look like they're trauma related, they have to send you out of the room while they check that said teenager isn't being abused by a parent. Smiley Frustrated In all honesty, if they didn't check that, they'd be pretty irresponsible, but it still hurts when you're trying so hard to hold their life together.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance