Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

perspective
Senior Contributor

The future for psychiatry

I am hopeful in the future that psychiatry becomes obsolete. I think the era of believing everything a doctor says is ending. I think diagnosing a person , throwing them a bottle of pills and  saying come back in 3 months and I’ll give you 15 mins of my expertise is a human rights abuse. No parent or patient should think a persons potential is finished at 25. I wonder if anyone has sued?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: The future for psychiatry

I disagree

Good on you

@perspective @Flying_Hams Hi perspective and Hamsolo. I remember my first psychiatrist said after two appointments that I had bipolar and medicated me and then said I should go an do art classes .... not quite the answer I was looking for. My second and the best so far said I had schizoaffective disorder and saw me every two weeks for months for free I might add until he retired. My current psychiatrist from the same practise as the second has put me with a mental health nurse who sees me once a week. Who I can talk to 24 hours a day seven days a week. She is a very good psychiatrist but still has limited my expectations of my future ambitions.

I think the quality of the psychiatrists makes all the difference there are duds out there with little vision for their patients which is sad. I still plan to do study ... I may only get passes these days but that is okay it is something I want to do in the future .... it gives me hope. greenpea

If inflammation gets the go ahead to be thoroughly investigated by the psychiatric community, we may see a change. But Doctors don't like saying sorry for their mistakes. So don't hold your breath

Hi @perspective 

I dont believe anyone has the right to say your life is done at 25.  There are all sorts of pdocs out there.  I think @jay2  has a point about inflammation having a role in mental health issues.

I found one organisation very helpful and it had a RECOVERY focus.  It is great to be able to discuss these things.  

Smiley Happy

Take Care

Apple

have you tried a different psychiatrist? @perspective

I’m 55 I’m sort of over the whole psychiatry thing now. I’m on nutritional medicine which my psychiatrist is convinced is benificial. If I go in with a tranquil mood she tells me it’s the vitamins. If I’m not in a good mood then I  must have missed a few days. I feel nothing from taking vitamins despite being on them for nearly a decade. I think she actually stopped being a psychiatrist when she started selling the vitamins. I see a psychologist now I find her benificial. They do at least attempt to find solutions whereas psychiatrists just assume the pills and a nice chat will do

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance