Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MavisMae
Contributor

Schizophrenic child. No upside from here

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

Our middle kid turned 18 on Saturday.  It was his second birthday in a row in the local adolescent psychiatirc unit.  His diagnosis over the last year has gone from "probably a psychotic episode" to "treatment-resistent schizophrenia". This is his fourth admission.  He's just been moved out of the high-risk part of the unit after seven weeks.  He has no insight at all, and is an expert at noncompliance even on the ward.  He is very smart and each time he's been before the mental health tribunal has held it together enough to avoid the long-term or depot treatment order he needs in order to get stable. He's absconded three times from the secure area.  When he's unwell he is frightened and belligerent; last admission he got himself to the unit at 2am armed with a [sharp kitchen implement] for self-protection. Luckily they recognised him on the CCTV and talked him into going round to the ED with a security guard and a nurse he knew, and without the [word forbidden by forum].  The family was never brilliant and all the holes are showing now. I'm frightened he will never become well enough to have a decent shot at life.  I'm terrified he will have an early end.  I'm resigned to my marriage limping on for a few years more and the family just dispersing. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Schizophrenic child. No upside from here

Hello @MavisMae

Dealing with young frightened belligernet males in the family is very tough.  Sorry that you have to go through this.

I cannot predict what will happen, but one thing about intelligent young men is that they do have a survival instinct, which also shines through in your post about your son.

I would say hang on to that as you ride the storms.

My understanding is that treatment resistant Sz should not be a Dx given at such at young age.  It should be after years and even decades of treatment have proved not to work.  Giving out that Dx and using the old clumsy drugs seems a bit hasty in your son's case, even if it has been a hard year for you all.  

Many people with Sz do live long and productive lives. My moither and ex husband are 2.

My question to his doctors would be.  Which treatments are they offering ... anything based on his developmental needs ... He is a teenager ...

I am NOT a doctor ... but I would say somewhere along the line .. they are not listening enough to him.

Take care 

Hello @MavisMae

Thank you for sharing some of your experiences, it sounds like there is a huge amount of worry with your son's mental health and how he will recover from all of this which is understandable. It also seems to have taken a huge toll on the family which cannot be easy, so good on you for reaching out for that much needed support.

Your son is at a very difficult age in general with lots of changes, which would also be having an impact, I would not give up hope, because as he gets older he will start to gain insight as he is currently getting treatment and he will be in more control of his mental health symptoms and his emotions will be easier to regulate. Teenagers are known developmentally, to experience emotions more intensely, so they are extra difficult to control.

I am glad you have come to the forums for some much needed support, are you currently also getting some carer and family support through Mental Health Carers Australia services?

Lunar

@MavisMae

What a terribly difficult situation you are in.

I do agree with @Appleblossom that, as is the common use and understanding of the phrase "treatment resistant" is probably not the best term one would use without adequate medication trials that have failed. I could only guess that perhaps the intention of the meaning was your son was resisting treatment.

What caught my eye was you mentioned your marriage limping along and I wanted to assure you that there are carer and family supports available. Each person deals with things differently and MI can put a strain on even the most robust of relationships. Learning how to balance the needs of yourself and other family members in what is an emotion charged situation may be of help to you.

If you let me know what state you are in I could send some links to these carer support services.

Hi Lunar, no we're not getting any support. He's just been discharged after about 12 weeks so I am really keen to know about any further help we can get.  

I should clarify - he is getting help from his community caseworker and psych, and we got a few days respite from the PARC before he decided he didn't want to have anything to do with it. 

@MavisMae

Here is a list of carer support groups that operate in Victoria

http://www.tandemcarers.org.au/carer-support-groups.php

Thanks Darcy

Thanks Darcy

Hi @MavisMae

I feel your pain and want you to know that you are not alone.  My teenage son  also has schizophrenia and we have been through many low points over the last 2 to 3 years, with multiple hospital stays, suicide attempts, threats of harm to others and medical trials and treatment changes.  Things can improve.  Never give up, but ensure you look after yourself in the process.  You cannot help your son if you are not looking after yourself.  Sounds simple, but trust me is vital.  It doesn't need to be expensive or take a lot of time.  A walk, coffee with a friend, a warm bath, a favourite book or movie.  Short bursts of self care give you strength.  

I agree reed that outside support from a carer's network, your GP or a psych would be helpful.  Take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance