Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

jb864
New Contributor

New to online support, and living with Bipolar

Hi people,

I was first diagnosed with depression at 18 then ADD @ 21, but was rediagnosed with Bipolar @ 22. I have been on bipolar medication up to today and I'm now 43. The most hideous aspect of this disease is the lack of control over the fluctuating mood swings and the way my confidence is crushed just when I think I'm on top of it. I have self medicated to try to make life easier, but that in itself only makes matters worse. My wife has been very supportive and my daughter who is in primary is very well behaved. But I'm at the point where I am finding that although I had good parents growing up with three siblings, and been married for 18 years, I'm struggling with not only the isolation relating to the depression currently, but with the current social isolation preventative measures, it only makes me realise how lonely it is and I'm keen to reach out to others for advice or ideas, even make new friends and to bolster the courage to go on and

fight and live with some dignity.

1 REPLY 1

Re: New to online support, and living with Bipolar

@jb864  Welcome to the forums.

I think mental illness has the ability to crush us from time to time. One of the sad realities we all seem to live with unfortunately.

I don’t think you are alone struggling with the present isolation restrictions, and it is affecting many with mental health issues, as well as those who don’t.

You are among many of us here who understand. Take a look around the forums and join in. It’s a way of getting to know how others here are managing.

A few threads you might be interested in joining The safe room- somewhere to just come and sit.... offload... feel supported  and Join us on our virtual walk around Australia! also Good Morning . 

A forum tip. The @ bring a dropdown, that’s how we tag others.

I hope to see you around.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance