Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Shaz
New Contributor

Need advice

Hi 

I am looking for advice. My son turns 27 next week has been diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2011. Where he spent time in a Sydney mental health unit.  Had a relapse in 2013 , where he spent 3 weeks in our local mental health unit. He was under a order and had to have depo every month. One year on he was taken off the needle as he convinced them he would take oral meds. Which have stopped. 2015 I obtained a eto , though the court house. He spent a week in the mental health unit.

Now at the moment He is not medicated, he isn't showering, I believe he is hearing voices as I have caught him many times talking to himself, has fits of laughter when no one around,  constantly pacing around the house and front yard. , unable to work,  does not go to shopping centres,  

I'm at my wits end. Do I take out another court order , I have had no support from our mental health unit. 

Please help 

2 REPLIES 2
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Need advice

Hi @Shaz

A very warm welcome to Sane. It must be very difficult to know what to do if you are not receiving any help from the metal health unit. Is there any reason why they are not assisting you? With your son's history I am very surprised about this. If there is no valid reason I would advise to lodge a complaint with the Health Dept and your relevant local, State and Federal MPs. 

Does you son see a psychiatrist whom could advise?

If his condition continues to deteriorate I would think seeking a court order again appropriate here as it has helped your son before. Wishing you and your son a good outcome and hope to see you around the forums 

Re: Need advice

Dear Shaz,

tennisstar here, one of the SANE forum moderators. Welcome to the SANE forum 🙂

I'm very sorry to hear about your son and the lack of support you have received from the mental unit, that must be tough. It soulds like you've reached the end of your tether, where this situation has left you feeling quite overwhelmed. As I imagine this is very stressful for yourself, what support do you have at the moment? 

If you haven't already tried, I advise getting in touch with another hospital/mental health unit to see what they can offer. Aditionally, possibly attaining another court order and potentially lodging a complaint to the Health Department as mentioned by @Former-Member may be another avenue to explore to ensure your son gains access to the appropriate support and that your story is heard. Moreover, seeking support from your local GP so they can make a referral to a psychiatrist/psychologist, and possibly contacting Lifeline on 13 11 14 may be helpful resources for you.

I hope you have found this information helpful 🙂 I wish you and your son the best of luck and I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Warm regards,

tennisstar

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance