Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: My life partner has Bipolar ii

@Jay-e 

Finding what works for you can be a process,  I have certainly found learning how others have coped have been useful, but not all will apply to our individual circumstances.

Yikes Jay, spending the night in the guest bedroom = 😔

Definitely difficult. He was initially on treatment order when he was first admitted, however now he is a voluntary patient. I do hope he stays a bit longer because honestly, he is doing much better there. Do you know of any clinical residential rehabilitation which would help him with community living and learning some skills? At home, he told me last time he feels hostile towards other family members and he feels like his mental health deteriorates when he comes home, which is something I do agree with. 

Currently, hubby seems quite sedated and drowsiness and tiredness seem to be the usual symptoms. He has had APs which disrupt sexual function, but his current medication doesn't seem to have those side effects I think.

My hubby's stance on medications is weird. At home, he agreed to take them if I give them to him as he trusts me. He cannot remember the names of all his medications, he basically just trusts me to know about his medications and give them to him. However sadly, even when on medications he relapsed very soon after discharge. I am not sure why, but he always feels hostile at home, so that could be a reason?

Thank you for your informed replies 🙂

Hi @nymeria92 

I noticed your reply today, if you use an @ you can tag a person as I have done with you.

Often there are reasons behind hostility, there are focused family therapies that can help in relation to this.

I know I was a little scared when my husband came home after his hospital stay fearing relapse. Focusing on living well in spite of his diagnosis and doing what we can to manage things has made a heap of difference. 

@Jay-e

How are things at home?

@Mrsjones 

How are things going with you?

hello @Mrsjones Heart

Thank you for the love @Shaz51 , its been very hard with still a long road ahead. 

@Former-Member Thank you so much for checking in. Mr Jones started ECT this Monday with his 2nd treatment this morning. Monday was a failed attempt due to a error made by the Doctor 😞 very upsetting but we must move on. This mornings treatment went well but due to starting the process Mr has been taken off most of his medication causing the lowest of lows.

@Jay-e , you have found a great group of people here to fall back on whenever you need us. I fully understand where you are coming from, with my Mr I struggled to see what was his illness vs. what was selfish behaviour. Its only been recently over the past couple of months that Ive taken a turn with this feeling and have managed to see the reactions differently. Mr Jones does not show anger but very self destructive behaviour which is hard for me to understand.

@nymeria92,  I see you are looking for some rehab services? Depending on where you live there may be some local, most of them are covered by private health insurance (depending on your cover). Some have waiting lists and so on.

Mr Jones utliaises a local private clinic and we have a great experiance, he attends out patient programs each week when his home. Mr Jones is currently an in patient which is his 5th stay this year. I do understand that these types of programs can take some getting use to and there needs to be a small level of acceptance. 

@Former-Member considerably calmer!! I think maybe I can work on not needing to analyse everything so much, but baby steps for me I think!

@Mrsjones thank you, it's been so helpful over the last few days, I'm so glad I joined!

@Jay-e  

images (1).png

For a while I became paralysed by the 'why' and whilst having an aeitiology was helpful,  facing hard facts and changing my focus to how best to manage things going forward was one of the most helpful things I did.

hello and hugs @Former-Member , @Jay-e , @Mrsjones , @nymeria92 , @Determined 

we are here for each other , to encourage and to support each other through each and everyday

so being here for each other is soo important for each of us xoxo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance