Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BabyHowYaFeelin
Senior Contributor

Just thrown off the chatline

I guess I reached the quota. I'm feeling worse than I was before. Any advice? 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Just thrown off the chatline

Why, yes. I know how you feel. Did they ask you if you have anyone in your life to support you? Why, yes! Yes they did! So if you did have someone to talk to, why would you be chatting to a stranger? 

Hmm... interesting insight!  Yeah, I know all the CBT, narrative, ACT, etc. 

Then why can’t you get better? Well, in part, it has to do with humans flogging me off.

WOW!!! Major life accomplishment. I just got ranked as a contributor simply for talking back and forth to myself. WooHoo! My life‘s goals are now complete.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @BabyHowYaFeelin ... I'm sorry to hear that you got thrown off the chatline.  Was it the Sane chatline that you were on? Whenever I have used the Sane chat, I have found them to be quite helpful.  But unfortunately they have a time limit of 40 minutes, after which they are obliged to cut you loose.  For me, just when you start to get into chatting about the really important stuff ... suddenly times up.  It does feel very unsatisfactory in that regard, I have to admit.  They are always really nice about it, saying to please log in again any time.  After which I guess you get your allocated 40 minutes again.  But sometimes .. it just isnt enough.

Have you tried one of the phone helplines instead?  That could be more successful for you .. provided you are comfortable talking on the phone.  I'm not.

Oh and ... perhaps congratulations are in order ... re your upgrade to 'Contributor'.  🤣  Have you been a member for long?

Sorry I cannot stay and chat ... I need to head off to bed now.  I hope you are okay?

Sherry 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @BabyHowYaFeelin , I'm sorry to hear that. I'm a bit confused though, do you mean they just randomly ended the chat with you for no reason - told you to leave? Is that what you mean? If so I've experienced that before

Hi @BabyHowYaFeelin 

That was an interesting conversation you had with yourself last night - I actually did read your first post but the usual life-demons were catching up with me - I was too tired to really respond to such a short message but I am glad that someone did respond eventually

It's a good question though - why chat with a stranger when you have someone else? Late at night - where is that someone? When I went through the dark time in my life I needed to talk to someone who wouldn't know me in real life because there are things none of us want to share - I understand that one - even now there are things I share will Life LIne and not because the people in my life are cruel in any way but just because I don't want to open that part of my life

However - when I read your first post I did think about it but I actually didn't know how. It must - no -  I know - it is lonely and dark out there at night and there are things that live in the dark that haunt us

I have found ringing Life Line very helpful when the shadows get long at 2.00 pm - and this is the time to ring because Life Line is busy at night and they don't have the time - in fact - I was a TC on a helpline a long time ago now and the nights were busy and we were on a quota from the people in charge and things were in a totally different set up then and so - yes - whomever you reach out to at night is limited in what they can say

And it's also true that it can take a little while to build up to what we really want to say and that uses up the limited time the TC has so I think about what's on my mind before I ring up or reach out to chat - that saves everything - the responder knows why I have called immediately - and during the day it is a better time to contact someone

Also - chatting on line has laspes and delays - there is the typing time and the reading time and the responding time and this adds up and the 20 minutes or so available is taken up

I'm sorry you had an unsatisfactory time on chat and also - it took a long time before we responded - but yes - our life-demon - late-at-night-demon - tired-demon - take over - but at least you left enough messages there for me to respond and others have too - 

All thes best today

Dec

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this, @Owlunar  I've been trying to take my pain to other places because I know my relationship is falling apart. It can't withstand my needs right now. We've been together almost 2 decades, and he told me he's not in love with me anymore. I am grieving and broken. It was comforting to have someone reach out to me. Thank you. 

Hi @Former-Member No, they were just clumsy at letting me go, and ended it about 2-5 minutes short of me feeling like I was okay. I was in a bad place and had tried for several days, multiple times during chat hours, to get someone. I was really impacted that I had held everything in for so long. It just caused me to feel like more of a burden. Thank you for writing. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance