Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Lollipops
New Contributor

In need of advice.

I am quite pleased to have found this group. I can not begin to tell you the trauma I have been through and the depth of my depression is the worst I have ever experienced I was given some resources by the acute team at the Hospital and a mental health care plan with a referral set up by my GP for a Bulk billing Psycologist.  But he isn't taking any more patients. I have only been to one in the past and it wasn't a good experience so don't want to go to just anyone again. Apparently most of them charge gap fees and I am not in a position to be able to afford this. How do I find a good counsellor?. Outer north Brisbane area. I have a history of depression but have never felt this low before to the point of suicidal feelings which I have never had before like this. I don't have any support at all and feel so alone. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: In need of advice.

Welcome to the forums @Lollipops glad that your reaching out both online and with your local gp and hospital. It can certainly be scary at times asking for help, so good on you. I’m sorry that you have experienced so much trauma in your life. 

A small suggestion About finding a bull billing no gap psychologist in your area is, are you on Facebook and have local groups for the area you live in? I have many notice boards and groups for my local area and have often asked such questions and many locals have been able to provide answers. It reaches many people that I would not otherwise be able to ask and you can often ask anonymously now days too, which is a bonus 🙂 

wishing you all the best @Lollipops 

Hi and welcome, @Lollipops , it's good you've joined, where people can understand what you're going through.

I'm very sorry to hear of your trauma and severe depression 😞

Can you go back to your GP and ask them to refer you to a psychologist that's taking new patients? In fact, you can research one yourself, that does bulk-billing, and then take that name to your GP, if you like...you can Google and then ring around and ask. 

I also second @Bow 's very useful suggestion. We aren't allowed to suggest things in specific locations due to the anonymity rules on the forums, which are designed to keep us safe. But your local Facebook groups would be able to help I reckon. 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply to them. 

I hope you find the forums supportive.

Good luck...

Hi and welcome @Lollipops 

Sorry to hear of your current situation. It is a lot to deal with and to try and understand. It shows strength that you are seeking help. 

Im not sure of your situation but do you work? Where I work the have an EAP employee assistance program. A lot of companies have them. It’s completely anonymous where you and your family are able to receive help for this at no charge. 

I hope you find support here on the forums.

Be kind to yourself 

Captain24

Lollipops so glad you reached out. I am going through the same. Here is what I've done.. exhausted every resource. Lifeline beyond blue? Head to Help, Vicrim Services and get a Application number so when you go for 22 sessions of EMDR CBT DBT ECT therapy it's paid for by govt. Now FIND A GP and demand he refer you to  Psychologist to help with therapy and get on right meds. Join forums. Presxeibe to health line emails that explain conditions mess and therapies. Talk talk talk type in crisis numbers and there's so many.of them. Ranging from Friendline. I have no family and history of suicide diation and live in a country town with a click so Totally get it!. Have a Safery plan with those numbers. Call the Mental healrh emergency call Head to help the acute care mental health, call From the way back. I feel for you Sister I hope and pray this helps. Join groups or clubs and even your safe local church but be wary as some churches don't know how to deal with MI because some don't get it. Your not alone remember that

Hi @Lollipops,

Welcome to the forums! I am FloatingFeather, one of the peer support workers at SANE. 

I'm sorry to read you are going through such a difficult time at the moment. I've struggled with severe depression in the past and I sympathise with what you are going through. It really is a hard place to be. 

It's great that you have reached out for support and I'm really glad to see some of our wonderful members have already reached out to you. I was just a little concerned reading about how low you are feeling at the moment. Unfortunately, the Forums aren’t a counselling or crisis service, however you can call any of the following services for immediate support: 

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat 

Suicide call back service: 1300 659 467 or online counselling 

Samaritans: 135 247 

Here at SANE we do have a Support Centre which is available to support you from 10am-10pm Monday to Friday with counsellors and peer support workers via phone (1800 18 7263) or webchat.  This is a free service so if you feel like you need some extra support we can help with that.

Also (just a friendly heads up as you may not be aware) but as mentioned by @NatureLover due to the anonymity rules at SANE we don't discuss specific locations. This is just to ensure our users are anonymous and safe.

Best wishes,

FloatingFeather

Hi there - I think the SANE new guided service might be offering free counselling in Brisbane North? try this link https://www.sane.org/referral?_ga=2.235794882.237483841.1656675651-1220872616.1656675651

Wonderful. Thanks for link. I'm.in Upper Hunter NSW

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance