Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Billijean
Casual Contributor

Hello l have just signed up

My story in brief. My 43 year old daughter has mental delusions and has been diagnosed with borderline  personality disorder.  She was in hospital for 8 weeks last year. Is no longer working.

She won't take medication she has shut me out of her life and tells me that everything is my fault.

I am at a loss on how I can help. 

I've been a single mum while she was growing up. 

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Hello l have just signed up

@Billijean, I'm so sorry your relationship with your daughter is so difficult at the moment.  Everything just gets so difficult sometimes and we are at a loss as to what to do. I don't know what to do with mine either. I didn't know motherhood was so difficult. We can only do our best.  I can only send my best wishes.

Hello @Billijean 

There seems an immature narrative going around on the internet that parents should be perfect.  It seems to encrourage a lot of young people to have unrealistic expectations and cut off their parents.  It is not good for social cohesion generally and tragic for individual relationships.  Its time we dropped using the perfect word so much.  There are no perfect people.  If they seem that way, it might be too good to be true.  Yes my life has been touched by similar circumstances.

Take care and welcome to the forum.

Hi @Billijean ,

I so sorry to hear how tough things are for you at the moment.

As @Historylover has mentioned, motherhood is so challenging, then to have your child shut you out - I can only imagine. The loss is real.

Having BPD (borderline personality disorder) is so challenging itself. They often struggle to find their own identity. The most painful part for them is relationships. 

From experience, the most important part is to empower them. There is little you can do if they don't want you to help them. I know this is hard to hear, but giving them space to find their feet may work. For some people, it takes months. Others take years.

The best thing you can do is tell them you are there for them and they can come to you when they feel able (they will have to make the move). 

The hardest for you now is to wait. 

I've been there.

tyme

Hi and welcome @Billijean  There are many of us here with similar situations. My daughter suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and she too has excluded me from her life. 2 years now. Extremely painful for we parents to be estranged from our kids,  27 but still my girl. All I am able to suggest is self care and keeping the lines of communication open now and then. There is nothing I can do to help my girl and probably the same for you if your daughter had chosen not to have you involved in her life but never give up hope. It’s the raft I cling to. Take good care of yourself and feel free to tag me if you need to talk 🙏❤️

Hugs @Krishna ,

That is a truly heart felt response. One of the hardest things for a parent to do is to 'let go' of their child. It doesn't mean you don't love them. You love them only TOO much.

@Krishna wrote:

keeping the lines of communication open now and then... never give up hope. ❤️

That is incredibly powerful @Krishna and @Billijean .

My heart goes out to you both.

tyme

Thank you.

Thank you 😊 look forward in participating in this group

From what I remember, I believe there are some threads in the Carer's forum relating to caring for someone with BPD.

You may be interested in:

1) Topic Tuesday // Supporting loved ones living with BPD // Tuesday 25th January, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT 

2) LIVE CHAT: BPD for Friends, Family and Carers - This Sunday 3rd October 7:00-8:30pm AEDT 

Happy to hear if these threads are of any assistance. You also have the option of searching 'BPD' or 'Borderline Personality Disorder' in the forums' search bar.

tyme

Thanks, it is hard for me not to try and fix.
I hate seeing her in pain
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance