Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

saturnzoon
Senior Contributor

Hello I'm new not really clear on how you start on here

I have had major depression social anxiety panick attacks and BPD for over 20 yrs now and still struggle with it. I am in a bad place right now and have been trying to get into respite to help me through this, but unfortunately my case worker I had I was not right for me, she was to abrupt and talked at you like you were a kid, she did not help properly and left me at centrelink appointments alone with my social anxiety and I had panick attacks, and as a result complaint was put in by a few and I was given a new worker which refused to come out and see me and toled me to tell her over the phone what is wrong and of course I wouldn't senosedive stuff and not knowing her, so she won't come out and I've now been informed that they have to have a team meeting to decide what to do with me. I am so angry am getting worse and my anxiety is through the roof cause by the looks of it, my old worker must have said I was a bad client and the other worker won't give me  a go, I'm to scared to contact them and paranoid that they must think I'm difficult to get on with, but it was just that I can't cope with abrupt workers that tell you what to do and cut you off when you try to say something. Has anyone else ever had trouble with there care workers and made it worse for them selves and scared to get the help now.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Hello I'm new not really clear on how you start on here

Hi

I also have BPD/anxiety/depression and have had some bad experiences with my "care" as well. It really sucks when the people who are meant to help seem to be the cause of distress. 

I'm curious - what other supports do you have? For me I found that the only reason I got the support I needed was because I had a really good GP who fought hard for me (and even then it was still a battle)

I know it's easier to say than to do - but I encourage you to keep seeking care. It can be hard not to lose hope but keep trying. You do have a right to care. 

Its understandable to be feeling a whole range of things angry, upset, anxious and worried and a whole lot more things. But try as much as you can to remain calm and factual when dealing with services. I know that is really hard. But my experience has been that when i get overwhelmed my behaviour deteriorates and I "act out" which often just leads to the care worker/service feeling justified in their judgement of me. 

what are your options from here? Do you need to contact them or wait for the outcome of this meeting?

Re: Hello I'm new not really clear on how you start on here

Hi @saturnzoon,

Welcome to the forums, Thank you for sharing so much of yourself and your experiences, thats exactly what this forum is here for a good way to start.

It sounds very isolating... like you have been through an awful lot and are having (justifed) difficulties trusting but hopefully you are able to keep trying to trust and work with them... and hopefully you have someone else who might be able to help fight for you?

I know people have had some very different experiences with workers, both good and bad, there are some ideas here about different agencies and responses. 

does anyone else have any ideas that may help?

Thank you both

Thank you both much for your thoughts,  u fortunately things are just getting worse.

I had my meeting with my psychologist  ( the one that gives you meds) and he wasn't keen on me going into respite because I would becoming backnowledge out to the same thing, but as I tried to explain to him, it's getting away from the house where all the reminders are constant letters, phone messages, crying all the time, wanting to hurt myself so much,in there you have e the pshycs, councilors social workers all in there so you get the ball rolling while in there,  but they don't seem to understand that, out here I still have a new worker I've seen once and she phoned me to say she doesn't take me to any appointments,  or ring on my behalf, so what exactly is there job.

I suffer from social anxiety and don't go anywhere on my own, shops or anything like that my older son comes if he's not working, I cannot talk on phones as my concentration has gone, I feel embarrassed,  scared, shy and think people are talking about, out me, so I just don't get it , I usually do the wrong thing or say the wrong thing and make stuff worse

So what do I do I've tried 5 different. Mental health groups where I live and they have waiting lists,. 

I had a melt down this morning so I'm scared the next time I could really do something to myself and break down completely 

Re: Thank you both

Hi @saturnzoon

I'm sorry to hear how tough these last couple of days have been. I can hear from your post that you've done a great job of advocating for yourself and expressing what your triggers are and what you need. Sometimes we don't always have the same ideas as the professionals and it's difficult to know what will work in the end. It sounds like your psychologist is trying to do what she things will be best for you.

It sounds like you are feeling quite vulnerable and scared of what might happen. It also sounds like you've been doing a good job of keeping yourself safe. Please remember that if you don't feel you can stay safe, there are crisis services available. Lifeline and the Suicide Call Back Service both have online chat options if you are not able to call them. You can find them at the below links.

Suicide Call Back Service

Online counselling: https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/register/

Lifeline

Online chat (7pm-4am AEDT): https://www.lifeline.org.au/Get-Help/Online-Services/crisis-chat

Take care @saturnzoon and please keep posting. There is always someone to listen here.

Hi @saturnzoon

You asked a great question about your support worker, what exactly do they do?

Have you asked them to give you some information on what they do offer? You might find something helpful that they can provide if they are clear on exactly what they do, do...
Does anyone else have a support worker that they can share their experience about?

@Mazarita , I think you mentioned you have one come visit?

Hi @saturnzoon, sorry you are going through such a hard time. I have a Phams support worker (Personal Helpers and Mentors). Since about October last year we've had weekly meetups for an hour or two, most often she takes me out to things that will help my social connectedness. She is also there to talk about things if I'm just not up to leaving the flat (as happened this week). She doesn't really do any more than that but I find it helpful. But it does sound like you need more care than that, more like a carer perhaps? I don't have any experience of finding carers. Does anyone else have any ideas there? @NikNik?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance