Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Untethered
Senior Contributor

Frustration

Just a short vent. I have plans to go see my brother today, he is struggling with ill health and is carer to his very ill partner. They are moving and I thught it would be nice to go help him pack and share a few wines a bit later. My daughter was keen but I have tried several times to get her out of bed, it is now 3.10pm and I am very annoyed to say the least. I know she can't help it, but it seems so selfish of her. I cant go without her because she tells me she cant be alone, but I've spent the entire day (since 5 this morning) waiting to get out. aaarggh.

That's it, minor I know but give me strength. It seems my whole life revolves around her and her needs and this is just that tiny straw (one of many) that seems to get up my nose. Will go and try and get her up again in  a minute but chances are I will have to change my plans.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Frustration

Hi,

What you've described is a scenario I face frequently with my depressed son.  I try to plan to do something that requires his involvement and then have to wait and wait and wait until HE is ready to rise and get going.  It is frustrating and I can share that feeling with you.  I'm not too sure about your daughter's age or circumstances, but if she is old enough and safe enough to be left alone I would do just that.  I've had many a day ruined by my son and have decided that I can't allow my entire life to revolve around him.  That may sound selfish but it's part of self-care.  It's important to still have a life beyond the caring for another.  

If you'd like to elaborate further on your daughter and what's going on I'm all ears.

Take care

Janna ❤️

Thanks Janna

I do my best to stay patient but some days it isn't easy. My daughter is 18 and by rights old enough to be left however, she talks constantly about the negative thoughs she has when alone and many a time I am summoned to come home - even when I am at work (which I dont do, but it does require a calming phone call).

It does seem my life is revolving around her and her needs but I am trying (as in thinking about lol) taking steps to change that, I am just so worried about her and I feel selfish thinking about my needs when I know if anything bad were to happen I would never forgive myself.

She is going back to hospital in about 10 days as her depression has been chronic but of course now the date is looming she tells me she is feeling better! Regardless she is going, I need the break as much as she needs the inensive therapy.

Thanks again 🙂

Just recently I've changed my approach towards my depressed son and have opted for the "less is more" approach.  I find that by giving in too much to cater for him actually makes the situation worse - it's like feeding a dependancy syndrome.  The more I do and the more I dance around his needs to ensure that he is safe and happy, the worse he becomes IMO and the more frazzled I become.  Taking a step back and trying to get the "adult" part of them to function and strengthen is what we should be aiming for.  So instead of positively reinforcing their fears and depression, focus on weakening them by getting them to gently face those fears and gain confidence in themselves.  I know how hard it is to deal with a depressed teenager - it's almost as if you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  At the end of the day our children need to take responsibility for themselves and somehow learn to manage themselves (depression and all).  The only way we can let that part grow is to loosen our innate protective and nurturing instincts which tend to go above and beyond normal because we are trying to ease their pain and suffering.

When you say "if anything bad were to happen to her", I'm assuming that your greatest concern for her is her safety from self-harm/suicide.  Have you considered making a safety plan/contract with your daughter which would include her guaranteeing you that she remain safe until you return home and for her to contact you if she feels unsafe?  Have you done a risk assessment on her in terms of suicidality?

You can find such risk assessments online via several websites.

Here's a few links you may find useful

https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/concerned-about-someone/suicide-warning-signs

https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/concerned-about-someone/helping-someone-to-create-a-safety...

At the end of the day your well-being is as important as hers and investing in some self-care and/or trying to live beyond the constraints of caring for her is NOT selfish.

I'm happy to hear that she is going back into hospital soon - not only for her, but for you as well.

Take care

Janna ❤️

Less is more ... can be very effective .. it takes love to figure out which things to scale up or down.Heart

Thank you Janna I will definately check out those links, I think I need  lot of reassurance right now and one way to get that is through information and the wise words of those who know, such as yourself 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance