Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Election results depression

Agreed @Teej , I hope so too.

Its most unfortunate and terribly unfair that scare campaigns get so much attention.

You only had to look at the papers to read what libs, clive palmer and one nation were saying ... I would shake my head in disbelief that they are permitted to advertise such seriously misleading rubbish.

We now have a Govt returned with an increased majority ... one with no vision for a better future, no new policies, no compassion and no plans to change tax policy to make it sustainable over the long term.  We are in a holding pattern.

Politics is such a cut throat game ... and I would not be in it for anything.  

Hi @BryanaCamp , its lovely to see you again.  How are you doing?

@utopia @frog @GeminiLion @greenpea @CheerBear 

Sherry 😠🌺

@utopia  I am also very upset and frustrated. 

I agree with you all.  I hate the live animal trade.  We need to protect our land and water from further environmental brutality. 

I was hoping to see more politicians with compassion get elected.  I wanted to see proper policies for climate change. I want the dole increased and all other pensions.  I want money for homeless housing and services.  For alcohol and drug rehab spaces.  For proper money to be spent on mental illness,  where we will see a difference. 

I want to see University and TAFE courses affordable. 

I want my refugee friend who has been locked up in detention for almost 10 years,  to be released into the community so he can start receiving his cancer treatment.  I want us not to be a country that punishes and tortures people because they are fleeing war. 

I wanted Australia to be a country where people matter more than the economy. 

Sad,  dejected,  frustrated. 

@utopia  well said utopia

I agree with you all that is not the best result.  Hopefully they will see and listen to some reason in relation to the environment and social welfare.  The support given to people that are struggling is so minimal and the cost of living continues to rise so rapidly.  I don't know how people survive on the pittance the government gives carers and people on new start.

Its so frustrating and maddening what the politicians do and say.  The rhetoric from one nation and clive palmer has been appaling and I don't know how they can get away with it.  

Unfortunately this result has only confirmed my suspicions of how our society has degenerated.

The passing of Bob Hawke and Paul Keating making comments reminded me of how things used to be. Then John Howard was also quite conspicuous. He is the one person who has most responsibility for the way we do things now. He used to talk about "mateship" but did everything he could to destroy it. It is no coincidence that the previous Liberal leaders cannot abide him. Malcolm Fraser could not stand the man and resigned from the party. John Hewson also speaks against him and his legacy. I think he has also left the party. It was Howard who made being mean spirited and selfish an economic virtue. Fraser told of when Saigon fell in the early days of his term. He proposed that humanitarian aid be extended to the refugees. The decision would have been unanimous in cabinet except for the descent of one member, Winston John Howard. Later he saw Fraser in the corridor and said he should have supported him because "we have to be seen to help those people" It was not because it was the right thing to do, but image. His reign has caused us a lot of damage, but he also took the credit for the economy during his teem, largely down to the reforms put in by Keating.

We no see that disease has taken root and when a party tries to break it by refusing to be negative and put forward a policy with some vision it is destroyed. The ALP could have done the scare thing like they have before, they had lots of ammunition. They may have won power but at high cost. Instead they went another route. The character "ScoMo" played by Scott Morrison went down the wrecking path. He has won but we are poorer as a nation. It was a good day for Rupert and Clive though. They are sure to be rewarded.

I doubt I will see the next election. This one has been enough. I no longer recognise the country of my birth.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Orwellian. It can be challenging when the workings of a country shift over time. Just a reminder for us all, that we often share different political views based on our leanings and it can be a tough time around elections. 

I hear you and agree with you @Orwellian and @Gazza75  And I thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I note that you are both new to Sane, so I would like to welcome you as a fellow member, and hope to see you around as you find your way about the many areas of the forums. As you have done here on this thread, feel free to contribute to any other existing threads that interest you.  Otherwise if you would like to open up a thread of your own in whatever section is most suited to you, that would be great, and will enable other members to support you specifically.

Kindest

Sherry 🌹

Sending love to all on here tonight Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance