Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Marulu
Contributor

Withdrawal symptoms

Anyone got any suggestions for self-help to cope with extreme fatigue as a result of medication withdrawal.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Withdrawal symptoms

Hi @Marulu 

I have tried to take myself off medication many times. Usually not with a doctors help. It ended terribly every time. 

My advice is go very, very slowly with the tapering down. 

Drink lots of water and get lots and lots of sleep! 

Also consult with your doctor! X

Hi @Marulu 

I'm really sorry to hear you're having a tough time coming off your medication. 

@Christheart had some really solid advice and I will also echo the same - I strongly advise you to reach out to your GP or treating practitioner to touch base with them about your experience thus far (if you have not done so already).

Withdrawing from medication without a medical practitioner's support is highly not recommended due to the many adverse effects different medications can have on your system. 

Some things I can suggest generally speaking are:

• Make sure you are eating well and
  • Stay hydrated
  • Keeping good sleep hygiene (lots of resting)
  • Try to keep busy (even if that just watching your favourite TV show)

Please go gently with yourself @Marulu. Remember if any side effects get too uncomfortable/unbearable please call 000 immediately.

Sirius

Hi @Marulu 

I have been through this a few times, when trying to stop or change meds. It can be so difficult!

I agree with other members advice. To avoid withdrawal symptoms as much as possible, go as slowly as you can.

I use to use one of those magnifying lamps & a nail file/emery board/sand paper to remove the slightest bit of my medications in the beginning.

Let my body adjust & repeat process. 

If you are a coffee drinker & feel comfortable to increase your intake when times are difficult, I also found this really helpful in easing my fatigue.

Of course, speak to your GP as well. There is a natural supplement called tyrosine - I have used this on occasions, however it did give me rebound fatigue when I stopped!

In my experience, GP's are sometimes not so aware of the withdrawal symptoms. Regardless, try to keep them involved & take it slow.

Good luck.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance