Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: The Challenges of Mental Health Wellbeing

Sounds very daunting and complicated hun @Sans911 

I hope you can make the changes you need to and that your health improves.

Enjoy your coffee with your group hun 💜💜

Hi @Sans911 @Snowie @Emelia8 @outlander and everyone here. Sounds like lots of things are going on for each forumite here. I'm very pleased to see the support and wonderful advice that has been given from every member which is great!

As for me, I'm dealing with my mental health challenges in many ways. I've been stressed and anxious about a friends legal issues which is causing me to feel a lot of anxiety as I can't fro anything for them except to listen and try and support them when they need me. It's hard to distance myself from the issues as I'm scared for them but I know that it's not my actual problem and I have to try and space myself away from it as well for my own health. It's just hard knowing that I can't really do anything for them. I'm trying to deal with this by knitting beanies and throwing myself into uni work whenever I get stressed about the issue. My sleep also has been erratic as I've been sleeping partly to shut down and try and isolate my thoughts from the whole topic. It doesn't help when my brain wants to think about uni assessments and rental properties when I want to sleep either!

I think I'm going to look at doing more writing to ease my thoughts and to get them out of my head so they can't 'hurt' me as much when they are stuck in my head. I'm also thinking of writing about images to describe my thoughts and feelings that I've taken from Facebook and other places to help put a image to what's going on- like descriptive writing as such.

How do each of you deal with this sort of thing? Do you go for a walk or do you listen to music? I see that colouring in seems to be popular so I might get back into that or at least drawing things to help me. Reading is also something I want to try and get back into besides uni texts type of reading ( l do actually like reading journal articles though, depending on the topic I need to research, as it's always interesting to see where a library search can lead to!).

Thanks for reading this! Stay safe and take care wonderful forum friends!

Judi9877

Hi @Judi9877

Nice to hear from you in this part of the forum. I'm so sorry to hear your friend is having legal difficulties. It's always hard to stand back when our natural instinct is to jump in and help them.

I have a family member in a very complicated and difficult situation. While it doesn't effect me, nor do I let it, it worries my mother immensely. I've told my mother that all she can do is be there when she can, and be there if everything goes belly up. While she has every right to worry, that's her choice too. As it is yours. But when it becomes detrimental to yourself, that's not great.

If you can, spend some quality time with your friend. Don't be tempted to discuss her problem though. Make the time you have together special. Like go for a coffee, shopping (or window shopping), go to a movie (you can't talk there!).

I told @outlander here to make herself a worry box. So when she's getting ready for bed, she writes down her worries of the day, puts it in the box and after that, you can't think of them anymore. I've used the Calm App too to help me sleep & I liked it so much that I paid for the full version. With that you get bedtime stories, which I love. I never get to hear the end as I've nodded off!

I also use a free colouring app called Happy Colours. I've tried quite a few other ones, but this is the best. There is daily colouring in, and lots of other choices. I often fall asleep and drop the phone when doing these. Also great when you are waiting on an appointment.

When you find yourself getting really anxious, splashing cold water on your face can help to reset the flight or fight response. Thus calming you down.

The key is to find what works for you. It mightn't work all the time but it's good to have enough options to choose from.

I hope your friend gets everything sorted and under control in time. 💕💕💕

Good morning sis @Sans911 

Hoping today goes well for you

Lots of love and hugs

💜💜

Morning @Snowie

How is your day shaping up? I'm having a quiet, slow pj day. Trying to conserve some energy today. I just have my support worker mid morning and my group walk late afternoon. 💕💕

A pj morning sounds good to me @Sans911 

I hope it's not too hot for your walk.

My day has been ok so far. Just have to take Izzy to the groomers but besides from that a slow day.

Morning lil Sis @outlander

I see you behind the support button. Sorry I dropped out on you last night. Are you feeling any better now? 💕💕💕

its ok, i ended up going to bed about 4am @Sans911 but logged off beforehand

not really feeling any better tbh, just a sinking feeling

Hugs and hugs lil Sis @outlander. 💜❤️💜❤️💜

i wish i could escape somehow @Sans911
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance