Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Talking about building emotional resilience

Absolutely hear that @Faith-and-Hope! In conflict resolution training, one of the first things they teach is to disrupt anger patterns. If you're on the phone when someone is getting angry, it can defuse the situation by saying something/someone needs your attention for a moment and you'll call back, with an expectation set of when you'll call. If it's in person it can mean changing the topic briefly to something they're not angry at. The famous hypnotist Derryn Brown said he once had a large, heavily muscled, aggressive guy storming towards him looking to fight anyone he saw. Derryn smiled as the guy approached and said "My fence isn't 2 feet tall, it's painted white though. The fences in Spain are much taller, there's no way my fence is 2 feet tall." The guy paused for a moment as he tried to process what was said, then sat down and started crying. Derryn sat with him and talked, and it turned out the guy was just drunk and angry about a fight he'd had with his partner. They left on good terms. It may not work every time, but when it does it can be a great help Smiley Happy

It's good that your mr has an outlet for that energy, exercise is a much better vice than some!

It is @Ali11 .....  it it’s in the “off-the-planet” category of exercise ..... 😔 ...... still, that might be what eventually achieves a diagnosis.  I just hope and pray it’s a soft fall.

He is currently persisting with the 7/7 quota while injured.

@Faith-and-Hope 

There is a lot of difference between theory and day in day out application within intimate fully procreative family situations.

I really appreciate all your considered, experienced and nuanced responses on this thread.

Heart

Thank you so much @Appleblossom.  I wonder sometimes if my responses are a bit overwhelming, or sound unsupportive, but that is not my intention at all.  

Life circumstances forced my former life from my grip, but as @Former-Member said, after her life changed in inconceivable ways, she took that big breath and stepped out despite the fear ..... that was a bigger brave. And there are so many other big braves here ..... inspiring and individual.

Even though it’s a painful topic area that touches on differences as often as it does similarities, there is that moment like @Sophie1 found when a chord is struck.

Good job everybody.  

@Appleblossom , you were amongst the first to welcome and encourage me here ...... thanks a million Bella.

A different brave @Faith-and-Hope not a bigger one. 

Another thing to be grateful for - fellow forum members, today @Appleblossom acknowledged. Bless you Apple. 🍎😀

hello @Former-Member , @Faith-and-Hope , @Appleblossom , @Ali11 , @Determined , @Sasha_86  Heart

Hi @Shaz51 👋 💕

Sorry @Former-Member 

Not sure what you mean about me being acknowledged?

Atm ..trying to move on and watch television shows like other normal people. SO I liked the girl cop in The Bridge but now am sad not completely triggered, but know I can never escape my past.  Now in end the worse thing that can nhappen and twist people seem to be foster kids ... 

That is probably why I avoided cheap tele as too often stereotyped baddies upset me.  Its not me being snobbish ... just the reality .... oh well ...

When referring to being grateful for the support of forum members, what is meant by you being acknowledged @Appleblossom  is that specific mention was made of how you welcomed and encouraged @Faith-and-Hope when she first joined and that this had not gone unnoticed.

❤️ @Appleblossom 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance