Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Talking about building emotional resilience

very interesting --- Overthinking

@Former-Member 

1) overthinking about jobs  or things that need to be done ---- writting them down helps , I have a few note pads around the house , like in  the kitchen and the lounge

I now have Mr shaz writting them down on paper ( took him a while ) but when they are done we cross them off

2) I find my time to overthink is in the middle of the night , because I have to visit the bathroom about 4 times a night , get back to bed and my mind starts -- sometimes it is better to get up and read or go on the forum for a little while and have a cup of tea  and then go back to bed

3) I think my biggest one at the moment is Mum , is she going home ?? is she staying in hospital long term ??

Writing things down as you think of them is a practical solution to ensuring things do not get missed @Shaz51 . I know if I don't write something on a shopping list or other check list things can get missed. 

Your Mum is a big one for you and as there are a lot of potential 'what ifs' along with anticipatory grief.  If you feel that some counseling would help, regional patients can access bulk billed on line psychology services with a mental health plan.  

I felt cut off from my social circles when we were asked to relocate to the east to support S2’s recovery (and D3’s in the process ....). Returning to study has helped me to rebuild meaningful connections.

One of the first, and best, pieces of advice I received from phone-based support services when I reached out there, was to learn as much about eating disorders as I could, so I would understand what was happening to my husband and our family dynamics as his illness continued to progress unchecked.  Rather than stumbling around in the dark feeling knocked around by things I didn’t see coming, it has provided scaffolding.  I can see what is happening to him, and learned what to say or not say to either enable without intention, or invite without intention.  That helps to stop the fear-thoughts, although there are still risks and damage occurring which are beyond my control to either prevent or manage.  Learning what I have helps to keep me from wandering too far down the pathways of “what if”, and there are many .....

If I find I am becoming fearful about some aspect or other, checking it out online via reputable support sources helps to put my mind more at ease.  I can see that he probably needs mood stabilisers, and why, for instance ..... so learning about chemical deficits in the body and the affects of them helps me to understand further what it likely happening ..... and in not so many surprises.

This concludes our formal discussion on building emotional resilience.  I would like to thank those who participated  @Faith-and-Hope   @Shaz51   @Former-Member  @nashy  @starflame  @Ali11  @Determined   @Sasha_86   @Appleblossom  and @Owlunar. I trust that along the way, something was of help to you.

download (23).jpg

@Faith-and-Hope     @Sherry  @nashy  @starflame  @Ali11  @Determined   @Sasha_86   @Appleblossom  and @Dec.

very helpful @Former-Member , thank you xx

ERL-Reference-Library-Key-Components-for-Resilience.png

Thank you so much @Former-Member 

04612434-F319-4B88-BF32-C389702F6F80.jpeg

Great thread @Former-Member and so valuable to others in the forums as well. We all appreciate it Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance