Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Things are moving along slowly but surely at our place.  Mr Darcy is keen to keep things happening and has ordered some soil for our completed garden beds (raised veg beds still a work in progress).

Have been perusing various on line catalogues and investigating/ reading up as to what fruit will grow in our cool temperate climate, will sit on the plant selections we have made for a couple of weeks before placing any order but feeling quite happy with the list.  

The running bamboo is, as expected, proving to be a tough customer to eliminate. 

Ok, I'm favourably impressed at how well Mum and Dad's front garden has handled my severe cutting back 🙂 A couple of fairly inconsequential and common things have died, but the correa, thryptomene and buddleia have put out fresh shoots, as had the big Bird of Paradise plant. Some self seeded weedy shrubs that I cut right back have done so too. Oh well.

It's still odd seeing it so relatively bare. If I lived anywhere even slightly close by, I'd be planting some neglect-tolerant but neat-ish plants to fill it in. Things like sedums (which are already in other parts of the garden). But given the block will probably be bulldozed bare for redevelopment.... not much point. 😞

Arrived home here as it was getting dark. Will get to check our garden tomorrow.

That is one thing I love about gardening @Smc .  You do a bit of work and the results last a long time. Unlike housework where you tidy a room and a couple of days later .... yikes.

a8e9f9d6a9661644c47c335af40a24bf.png

Ummm... sort of, @Former-Member. This morning's wander around the garden reveals that some of the "late planted" tomatoes have been bitten off, possibly by the wallabies. Whew, they must have been hungry to bother eating those! But there's other untouched ones that are in flower, and hopefully have baby cherry toms forming.

Former-Member
Not applicable

87587375_10157950359820070_8377213799656062976_n.jpg

tenor.gif

Former-Member
Not applicable

Mr Darcy's brother is helping dig in some tubs which I am hoping will help restrict root spread of some proposed brambleberry plantings.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@alwaysangry 

Come and meet some other gardeners in this social discussion thread.  

Liliums - one of my favourite flowers/ plants.

I used to grow them, for many years (in pots).

Eventually my Liliums all died out.

Planting Oriental and Asiatic Lilies | Garden Bulb Blog ...

Phalenopsis (or Moth) Orchids.

One of my all-time favourite Orchids.

I had a succession of them in pots.

They're touchy, didn't keep them going for long.

Phalaenopsis Orchid - In bloom, free shipping

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance