Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

We had one of our apricot trees die this year. Last year the Very Hungry Possums srtipped its leaves until it was almost bare. It started regrowing this year, but was too depleted to make it.
I've got another one growing in a different spot. It's only been in a few years, so only had a few fruit this year, but it looks healthy. I won't replant where the dead one is. What with this fire season, I've decided it's possibly best keeping the trees a little further from the house. I'm not so concerned that I'd cut down a healthy one, but if one dies, its replacement can go somewhere further out.
A flowering cherry nearby is looking sickly too. It may just be reaching "end of life" or perhaps a hard prune might bring out fresh growth.

IMG_1785.jpg

Some mail order plants that I saw on sale and purchased some time ago arrived this morning 🐞. Delivery had been delayed due to weather conditions.

Pelargonium sidoidesPelargonium sidoides

@Former-Member, I had this one in a pot, but am not sure if it's "disappeared". Will need to check that today. I hope not... it's a lovely little thing, and very drought tolerant once established, but pots are less forgiving when they dry out.

Spent yesterday out, so watering is a "must do" task for early today.

I got a few more "belated vegs" in the day before. A sprouting choko and ditto sweet potato in large pots. I don't think either will have enough time to mature before our frosts hit, but both have tasty greens, and I'm hoping I can protect the pots well enough over winter to get regrowth next year. Maybe not so with the sweet potato, but I have kept a choko going before now. It was in really crummy soil too, so this time it'll be i

I have a poor track record in keeping pot plants alive @Smc  and try and get plants in ground asap. I am keeping the ones I have in a group so I don't forget to water any. 

Yep @Former-Member. They are much more at risk in pots. At least in the ground, there's more of a buffer if life in general leads to a bit of neglect... Crisis proof gardening again. 🙂

Have done the watering. The pelargonium is still alive, but looks like it would appreciate repotting. And the peas have started shooting! 🙂

Ohhh saw some more wonderful succulents today @Former-Member 

Going to buy them on Sunday and make sure they have babies @Smc , @Adge , @Determined , @Former-Member 

@Smc  winning on two counts 😊.

@Shaz51  are these different varieties to your current collection?

Speaking of babies, how did your rabbits go @Smc 

Yes @Former-Member  , even Mr shaz likes them , @Smc , @Adge , @Determined , @Former-Member 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance