Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

My neighbour recommended a gardener and we have had him come out to deal with some of the noxious plants out the front and already the place is looking heaps better. There are a few bulbs that have come up and it will be interesting to see what species and colours they are.

@Determined we did not bring your garden tool of choice with us 😀).  

Image may contain: plant, tree and outdoor

This is a picture @Shaz51  of my sister in law's mobile succulent wall.  She loves her succulents and does a beautiful job of making them into walls.  Pretty impressive, dont you think?

Sherry 

@Shaz51, I found a Bendigo Pottery casserole dish the other day with a hole already in the bottom. No way would I damage an entire one, but given the harm had already been done with this one, I took it home as a planter for a miniature garden. I'm thinking thrift, thyme, alyssum, maybe some small succulents.... and I'll see what else I have of interest. 🙂
Like this, but without the lid.Like this, but without the lid.

That takes away all the fun @Former-Member  

I'm in withdrawal since moving  lol  Have 5x in my shed and nothing to use them on anymore. 

ohhhh @Former-Member , that is totally beautifulHeart wow

great pot @Smc , ohh what to put in there ??

@Shaz51, have just planted it. White thrift, a purple heuchera, a small low growing yarrow plant, some trailing thyme, a few small rooted cuttings of santolina, and a division of a cuphea. Which is way too much for the long term, but my aim is to have it looking good for our town agricultural show, to enter as a "miniature garden". Will see how it goes, trimming anything which gets too big and/or tucking other little plants in where things don't fill out enough. 🙂

And I did some weeding... and accidentally pulled the top off a young delphinium plant. Aargh! Hoping it will regrow from lower down.

mini.jpg

have to do mum`s weeding @Smc , she keeps reminding me @Former-Member , @Determined . @Former-Member , @Sheila 

I helped a client weed his courtyard & garden @Shaz51

I used to do topiaries myself, when I was in horticulture.

Not those fancy animal shapes - just very large Balls.

Whole large Olive trees etc (in a ball).

Adge

@Adge, I'm not generally keen on the formality of topiaries and hedges, but I do like the softer look of "cloud pruning". Preferably the ones with flowing shapes rather than the ones that look like something has boiled over in the garden.

Untitled-22.jpg

I'm not a big fan of formal gardens (topiaries & hedges) either @Smc

My garden is trimmed, but also a bit wild & woolly - seems more natural to me.

Leaf litter makes an excellent mulch (& weed suppressant) - & improves the soil with organic matter, as it breaks down.

Yet my neighbours don't want any leaves, & rake them all up - which is why their backyards (& gardens) are still leeched (totally infertile) sand.

While my backyard has a nice rich layer of composted leaves on top.

Adge

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance