Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Partners who chose to stay for the long haul

hello and hugs @DownButNotOut 

we are here for you my friend

hello @Former-Member , @Former-Member , @Sophie1 , @Faith-and-Hope 

Welcome @DownButNotOut  👋

I totally agree re the sentiment that it's a choice every day to continue to support our loved ones who struggle with MI.  

this forum is the best place I have found for support from people who really truly understand what you are challenged with - well at least more so than those who haven't loved/lived through a similar relationship ... this the advice provided and encouragement comes from a place of wisdom and shared understanding 

post as much or as little as you feel comfortable - we are always always happy to listen and help shoulder the burden - seriously I have sometimes been away for years and then come back to the forum and it's still here - still with a core of people who will provide a sounding board at the least and maybe a helpful hint or really useful idea you wouldn't have thought of otherwise 

My partner of 23 years - MsS - has Major depression, generalised anxiety, bipolar II all diagnosed and I believe possibly PTSD undiagnosed as she will not openly talk about her traumas enough to get the diagnosis if that makes sense... 

anyway welcome and feel free to tag me anytime you want to ask a qn or share or whatever 🙂 

@SleepyDad  

If you feel comfortable, you are welcome to join in this  discussion thread.

hello and hugs @SleepyDad , @David16 

how are you tonight xx

Hello @Former-Member , @Sophie1 , @Former-Member  @DownButNotOut , @Faith-and-Hope 

Thank you @Former-Member, @Shaz51  and everyone for the welcome

@Mrsjones , I hope you don't mind but I have moved your question over here to where other forum members who care for their partners might be more likely to find it.

@Mrsjones  wrote:

"The meaningful activities is something that has resonated with me. Mr Jones has brought this topic up a few times but we never really got a chance to focus on it. I see that added some meaningful tasks into his week would really help, although he does struggle to commit to somethings long term due to his illness. Finding a hobbie would really help both of us as our lived are normally just work, kids, university... and thats it.

and

What type of lifestyle changes have people made to support their partners illness? 

How are you going  @Sophie1   @SleepyDad  @Shaz51  @Former-Member  @DownButNotOut  @kaygee 

@Mrsjones @Jay-e  @nymeria92   come and meet others who care for their partners, feel free to join in this discussion thread.

Thank you @Former-Member.
I didnt know this thread was here.

Hello everyone, let me introduce myself. I have My husband has a diagnosis of Bipolar II, BPD and alcohol dependency. This year has been the worst/ crisis for us yet with multiple stays in the public hospital and a private mental health clinic.
This forum has been helping me through the last few months.
Thank you and I look forward to getting to know you all 🙂
Mrs Jones
xx

Hi @Mrsjones and @SleepyDad 

welcome to this thread and forum 🙂 

Thankyou @Former-Member for the tag x and hi @Shaz51 @Former-Member and others in tonight 

my partner has Bipolar II , major depression and generalised anxiety all diagnosed and I suspect ptsd undiagnosed ... anyway ... I have been MsS's partner for over 20 years  (yes we are both female in case you are adding up my username and MsS as my way to refer to my partner).. we are both on our forties now and well used to the realities of a life and partnership impacted by mental illness challenges.  

this forum has been very helpful to ask for feedback and guidance when I need it and just to feel not alone in these challenges 

one of the ways we adjust our lifestyle to be more realistic is we only ever have one social event per weekend - any more than that is too much for MsS and we end up canceling anyway and then dealing with all the guilt and anxiety around that 

also we try to have at least one weekend a month with no social events so we can get our house in order and truly relax with each other and catch up on sleep ! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance