Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Partners who chose to stay for the long haul

awwwww thank you @Former-Member HeartHeart

My FIL was like your hubby @Former-Member .  My mr. has tried so hard to not be like his father, but unfortunately, although the addictions are of a different nature, addictions have taken hold .....

Yes, it can be so hard to determine what to do with shifting lines in the sand, where it can be dangerous to stay, but dangerous also to go ..... or turn that around to traumatic to either stay or go ..... the decisions are not “clean”, and very different in reality to what may have been imagined previously.

@Differentlife   Often others calling out bad behaviour can make a difference. It is lovely that marriage counselling is helping you. In the absence of substance abuse/DV/anger issues, I think that sometimes we are a lot more fearful of putting boundaries into place than is necessary.  I think that sometimes we undervalue our own worth and our need to rejuvenate so that we can live well in spite of our partners diagnosis. Can I gently encourage you that this is possible to do this, grief needs to be acknowledged and changes made, but a good relationship is possible. Mr Darcy & I now get on heaps better than a lot of our friends who do not live with MI and a lot better than how we were going in the lead up to his crisis.  Now if necessary I gently remind Mr Darcy that as his beloved I need to be treated with TLC, this is usually done with a smile and good humour.  

Since his attempt my husband has rarely gone to anything on his own @sharnie, we have just moved interstate and are checking out a service group with a view to doing some volunteer work and I have suggested to Mr Darcy that he volunteer without me this weekend as the job is being on thegate at a sporting grand final with some other blokes. I am hopeful that there might be some friendship potential for him. When he was acute and after he came home from a long hosptial stay I was scared to leave him but after it was clear that he was stable and was no longer suicidal I was pleased to go out on my own.

Some of us have found that our partners are not ready for counselling as they have been in denial/have grandiose thoughts etc and are not able to or ready to accept the truth, take responsibility for their actions and accept the help they need to get their mental health and their relationship on track.  Counselling for Mr Darcy & I did not work out (he was hypomanic at the time) but I did have a friend who would call him out on his inconsiderate behaviours which was helpful. I think too that I had to be ready to face the truth myself and look at how I was not coping and I found a wonderful counselor that helped me with the tough stuff and this was also necessary in getting things back on track for us.

Thinking especially of the long haul crew

@Former-Member sending gentle thoughts your way.

hugs @Former-Member 

hello @Faith-and-Hope , @Determined , @Differentlife 

how are you going @Former-Member xxxx

On the road @Shaz51 going to visit Mum for the weekend. 

have a good weekend my @Former-Member Heart

images (5).png

Finding writing a list helps ....

Been thinking of you @Tiggeroo  and wondering how you are going?

Hello @Former-Member , @Faith-and-Hope , @Former-Member , @Determined , @Differentlife  xx 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance