Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Parents Supporting Unwell Adult Children

I would love him to accept some sort of treatment program. That is what I am working on at the moment and annoying the hell out of him by repeating this message. It is part of the boundary setting that I have put in place and not trying to solve a problem that I am not qualified to sort. It has been liberating and frightening all at the same time.

Hearing you @FairerDingo.  I am seeing a psych forctgecreason that I can’t treat something I am not qualified to treat, that is seated in the middle of my family.  When (if) it does eventually get diagnosed, I am going to need the support to keep walking along with it anyway .... 

It can feel like a flood, but it sounds like you are taking the baby steps that are needed, and blocking from your mind how big the rest of it is ..... because we can only work with increments.

Keep taking care of you 🌷

Can your husband seek support and respite too ?

Thanks for updating us on how you and your son are managing @FairerDingo. It is great to hear some parts are now feeling liberating for you and we hope that continues. How are you doing today?

@SpinningDaisy .... this thread might be helpful to you.

@SpinningDaisy wrote:

Thanks, guys. 

I had a read through the tagged posts last night, and was reading your replies...just didn't have the emotional energy to reply. My daughter has again been admitted to hospital, which means she will be exited from her current housing. This is the fourth place she has been exited from, and it means she's likely to end up in Child Safety's care. 

The thing that is particularly upsetting is seeing her light her Instagram up with hospital selfies, self-harm selfies, all the while knowing that she will effectively be homeless again. I feel like she is addicted to the hospital (this is the fourth admission in two weeks), and gets some kind of kick out of an ambulance being called. As long as her Instagram followers lavish her with attention for this, I feel like it will continue.

Yesterday, I was kind of sad. Even mournful - thinking of what our relationship used to be, what it could be, and what it is. Today, I'm angry. It took us two months to place her in a safe house because of these behaviours, and she threw it all away in a week. 

How am I feeling?

That depends on second to second. Right now, I just want to yell at her and tell her how she's hurting me. Tell her I need space and time, and that when she is ready to actually work towards healing and being healthy, I'll be here....bit otherwise, my proverbial door is closed.

I feel like that's what I need, but I am struggling to figure out if that is anger disguised as self care, or if it's actually the path I want to take. 

@SpinningDaisy  I am assuming you are under a health-care plan that gives you access to a therapist for your own support ?  If not, I would highly recommend that you speak to your gp, and do.  It gives you access to a number of free visits, and I find that it is a good idea when there are monumental and overwhelming decisions to make, they are made with support and advice.  It also gives you professionals who are sometimes able to go in to bat for you, which is another way of gaining support for yourself.

It sounds like there might be a personality disorder present that seeks glorification of itself, but it takes professionals to work all of that out, to maybe converse with any therapists involved in your daughter’s care, and work out supports and strategic plans that the whole family can work with to help stabilise the individuals, and the family as a whole unit, with it without your daughter under the same roof.

Its clear that emergency housing support is part of this.  Keep blowing that whistle Hon, and reaching out for support in all directions, and please keep posting here where we can walk along with you.

There is more to write, but that is probably enough for now.

@Smc @Peri @Libra 

Thanks.
I have a MHP with my GP, and have seen two therapists under that, but both were a bit flat and one was, I felt, dismissive of how I felt about it all. She was more task focused, and that's not necessarily what I feel I need right now. Might be time to use the private health to see someone maybe a step up from the therapists I've been seeing. I also have a decent EAP through work.

The practical and placement side of this absolutely horrific situation is being managed by Child Safety, because I am simply unable to continue to fight the crisis accommodations, especially since she is now flagged in QUIP as a risk. The time before last that this happened, I spent a week solid (took the week off work) to exclusively be available for calls and appointments, applications and meetings, with emergency housing. I honestly feel like I could run the Homeless Hotline, at this point.

Her first diagnosis was a few years ago, and that was simply ADHD. That's it. By that point, she was self harming daily, had stolen thousands of dollars from us, was making up stories about physical abuse, running away weekly, etc... I had been screaming for years that something was not right, but got the old "it's just normal teenage behaviour. Keep being supportive and positive and it will pass" line. Other times, it was attributed to poor parenting, or a lack of discipline (namely physical punishment - that one often came from Police involved in filing Missing Persons reports).

Last month, the diagnosis was reviewed and the new BPD diagnosis was added. That one, I believe, is genuine. We also believe that she is somewhere on the spectrum, especially since several family members on my Maternal side, have been diagnosed with Aspergers. We will keep pushing until we have a full picture.

I do believe the attention seeking is part of the BPD. The problem is that she will constantly receive that attention, since she knows very well that all she has to say is "I feel like dying", and the attention HAS to be given. She knows that if her followers catch on, she can dump them and get a fresh profile or a new batch of followers who will feed the attention seeking behaviour. I can't stop it. I absolutely am powerless in that.

I have so much more to say, but my brain is just wanting to rest.

@SpinningDaisy I am glad you have the support systems in place to help you, and it sounds like you are ready to try someone else.  It is very disappointing when we don’t feel a sense of connection with health professionals around our needs too, so continuing to search for that, I find important.

I hope there is a change of direction regarding this too, but it often becomes about the person themselves finding that life is not working so well for them under their current patterns before they can be brought to see that change is needed.  I hope that happens sooner rather than later for your daughter.

Thank you to all the excellent people here who have walked these paths and gained exerience.

In response to how my son is doing, he has bottomed out and after talking to a friend's father for 5 hours straight! he has begun to behave differently. The person he spoke to is a hypnotherapist and psycholigist and the main thing is that my son trusted what he was saying and listened. He seems to have clung onto his job and has gone back to work, he has apologised to us and allowed his sense of humour to emerge again. 

I hope he goes back to talk with the psychologist. The five hour chat was a freebie, but after seeing the dramatic change, I have told him not to hold back on seeing him because of money. I can pay for his peace of mind.

That is awesome news @FairerDingo !!  I hope he does continue with appointments.  So much difference for all of you .....

🎉👏🏻

That is great news @FairerDingo, you must be so happy to see that positive change. Heart 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance