Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Calmblueocean
Senior Contributor

Not much talk about an actual cure for mentall illness.

I have noticed that discussion seems to talk a lot about treatment etc but what is being done to cure these diseases? Does anbody know? I wouldn't mind a life without taking so many pills. I thought that maybe as i got older my brain might be able to process dopamine a little better but mental illness does not go away.Be good if someone knew of any research being done in Australia and maybe give us some hope.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Not much talk about an actual cure for mentall illness.

@CalmblueoceanHi Calmblueocean I wouldn't be so uptight about taking my meds if the side effects weren't so great. 

isnt the only way to cure mental illness to find the cause and fix it?? thats where these so called experts fail miserably. all they can do /do is talk which is ok to a limited point but what then?? what next??   i was placed in lock down at the local ER after attempting suicide.  then i was let go.  What has changed?? nothing, what has improved ?? nothing no referral to any one. 

@tisme The lack of referral after such a serious event, is shocking.

Smiley Sad

@Calmblueocean I agree.

Smiley Sad

I hope you get some relief and support from the forum.

Smiley Happy

There is a lot of research going on around the world and here in Australia. 

As yet,  the seratonine/dopomine cause,  has not been proved.  Old research was flawed.  Researchers are looking into many different areas as to what causes chronic depression.  A lot of this research is being done at Australian Universities.  Get on the internet and have a good look at what's being researched right now. 

i recently cured my self from 30 years of suicidal depression, severe social anxiety and paranoia. all i did was realise i am in control of my thoughts and feelings they are not in control of me.i have just spent 3 months 12 hours a day reserching psychology and psychiatry only to find out no one knows how the mind actualy works. here is something i wrote.

Modern psychology/psychiatry

Modern psychiatry is mostly wrong due to a lack of understanding caused by years of clinical trials. The problem with testing in clinical environment is it eliminates the understanding of the subject being tested. People have different experiences, upbringings and genetics all of witch contribute to how they cope in different situations. All of those factors contribute to the way a person creates there thought patterns and the chemicals those thoughts create. 

Every neuron is different and has different connections, pathways and purpose determent by the individuals genetics and environment. neuroscientists can not agree on how many different types there are or how many subcategory's there are. The truth that no psychiatrist wants to admit is that they don't know how the brain actually works. No one does or ever will because every brain is different.

The way a person has learnt how to cope with problems in there life determines the amount of chemicals that are produced by the thought. If you are taught that feelings are for sissies the brain will produce less of the chemicals that create feelings. Someone who is taught that having feelings is a good thing will produce more chemicals and therefore have stronger feelings. It also comes down to your intellect. With a higher intelligence you have the capability for stronger feelings but also a higher ability to control them.

You can control feelings by controlling the thoughts that create them. Feelings are an evolutionary trait. If you just think you are in danger you will not react in the same way as if you think you are in danger and feel fear and create adrenaline. Feelings enhance the thought process and can change the thought process in a good or bad way if you let them. Once the chemicals get over a certain concentration they will control the thought process and it will be harder to maintain control.

The secret to over coming depression, social anxiety/phobia, stress, and all other mental heath problems that are not associated with brain injury is to just change the way you think. It is as simple as that.

What ever you think you will feel. if you think you will be anxious in public you will be. If you think you will be happy in public you will be.

The use of antidepressants stops the persons ability to control there thought patterns. the same goes for alcohol and any mind altering drug. Your body is a chemical factory what you put in get converted so what you eat and drink will change the way you think and feel.

All the factors in your life affect the way your brain develops and it never stops developing. The brain is constantly changing as you develop new memory's and experiences ether good or bad. The way you respond to those events is up to you and no one can help you they can only guide you with advice. Until you take control and make the derision to change the way you think you will not change there is no magic pill.

modern psychology

psychology is better at helping people learn how to control their thoughts and feelings but it is up to the psychologist. Most are just in it for the money and it is a very easy job with no accountability or proper performance checks. It also has the most subcategory's so the training and knowledge of the psychologist will very greatly. There are also more psychologists that have there own problems and went into psychology to try and understand them.

Psychology is more about getting to know the person and making them feel comfortable. Positive reinforcement showing empathy and compassion are more effective than drugs. The problem is people are more likely to want to make friends or fall in love with there psychologist than with a psychiatrist.

The main problem with psychology is the cost. Psychologists think their time is worth more than there level of training would suggest. It takes more hours to become a good mechanic than it does to become a clinical psychologist

most universality degrees could be done in around 12 to 18 months instead of 4 years. University's have school holidays and most still operate under the old book and hand written time frames. They haven't kept up to date with the speed of computer writing and the ease of gathering information from the internet. They also only average 3 hours 3 to 4 days a week that's why they encourage students to do more than one coarse at a time.

My advice to anyone looking for help with depression, anxiety and paranoia is go see a councilor they cost less. are more available so you can see them more often. They tend to care more about the people they see. They are less about their career and more about helping you. They tend not to be ego driven and are more inclined to help you with other aspects of your life.

Psychiatry and psychology have been too institutionalized and have stagnated. They have become blind to any other way of helping people. they need to have a major overhaul or more people will die unnecessarily.

Always remember you are in control of your thoughts and feelings don't let them control you.

i can now play with anxiety and depression i can turn them on and off at will. it takes me about 5 min. to create them but it takes around 3 hours for the cemicals to disapate. i do love my new brain

Hi @itt . I found what you wrote very interesting.  I have always wondered how physchiatrists can interpret subjective data and then prescribe a pill to fix it. I can agree with you that seeing a good counselor is sometimes a better option. I wonder though about the genetic predisposition.  We have a long line of people in our family with the same diagnosis. I also agree that you are in charge  of your feelings and the flight fight factor may be a learned response. The problem is it takes time to understand your own illness. Someone having a phychotic episode may not realize what is happening and may not be able to "cure" themselves. What is your advice for someone in this position?  Someone's intelligence doesn't really come into it   re Albert Einstein and many many others. I have been able to do what you sort of describe. I can recognize a thought as being just that and try to put it in a box and forget it but i am old and some others are just getting a grip on dealing with all the crap of having a mental illness. Everyone has their own journey. I hope people reach out to whoever they need to.

In continuation to this conversation @itt  i have been thinking about the physchiatrist who prescribed me the combination of medications which i think played a huge role in changing the way my brain worked. My physchiatrist was the kindest , most honest person who worked tirelessly to help her patients. She really did care and if it wasn't for her and the entire mental health team i had i would probably have died from my illness. The medication she prescribed me was the first medication that i could actually feel work. I could actually relax for the first time in many, many years. Sure there were side effects like putting on weight etc but from being able to finally cope , not being admitted to hospital three or four times a year was a really big thing for me.  Yes i made some huge changes in my lifestyle and did other things but i still think that the medication worked on my brain in a positive way. I don't really have any other hypothesis on why else the big change. It made a difference having a phychiatrist that actually talked to you in a way that let you feel you could talk openly and honestly about things. I think i owe this phychiatrist a mighty big thankyou and hope whereever she is she is smiling and happy. If i could name her here i would. I recommend trying to talk to these people. I guess if you talk to your team of professionals they can turn some subjective data into objective and really help.   Just my thoughts.

Hi @Calmblueocean , love your username.

Interesting point you have there actually

Hi @Former-Member . I guess you like music. Good life choice. Do you wish to put your thoughts to the discussion. Do you think you can "cure" yourself or do you think you would take the holistic approach and take all the help you can and also implement your own self care help. I am guessing music plays a big hand in your self care. Is there anything else you do to settle yourself?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance