Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

NDIS funding. Have none and very hesitant to get it started.

Evers ince NDIS funding rolled out, I have not had the slightest interest in it at all. Around the time, I had been so let down by mnetal health teams and workers that were meant to be helping me that I just was not at all interested and I also had not heard good things. In a situation where I would need to have NDIS and I still feel the same about it. They could apparently do all the work which is cool, but yeah just have no interest in NDIS. I don't even have any interest in getting out of bed everyday. I pretty much feel Id just be better off keeping going on my own as I always have done, even though I do struggle.  I just cannot be bothered with any extra added stress. This is why I mainly keep to myself. People and their complications stress me out. Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: NDIS funding. Have none and very hesitant to get it started.

Being on the NDIS has been transformative for me because I have another disability in addition to my mental health disability. It means I can access therapies for my primary disability like physiotherapy, exercise physiology (for the first time since I was a teenager) and get some help around the house and with things like shopping, and even with going out (because my primary disability means I can't drive). For me, the extra dealing with people is outweighed by how useful it is. It might be helpful to you to ask this question on a Facebook group dedicated to the NDIS (there are several). They can give you the best NDIS hacks that might make it work for you.

Hi @Powderfinger, I can certainly understand wanting to stay away- the NDIS can be quite a mindfield to try to navigate sometimes and it's certainly quite the process! I've had a little to do with both sides of NDIS, as a participant and working with it professionally. In terms of them 'sorting it all out', from my understanding, there are three different levels: 

• agency managed- means the NDIS do everything, though this limits you to registered NDIS providers 
  • plan managed- means an external agency manages most things and gives you a little more freedom to choose providers who may not be NDIS registered 
  • self managed- means you manage everything, like bills etc and you can pretty much go to anyone you like, NDIS registered or not. 

Sometimes, this can be a mix though- for example, you manage a section of funding yourself but the rest is plan managed.

It depends on why NDIS might be useful for you, but I'd encourage you to have a look at the NDIS website, maybe get in touch with the LAC provider in your area (they assist with assessing and managing plans- I think of them like NDIS Guides) to have a chat or talk with your GP or someone else in your support team.  

I'm also going to tag a few other members who may have insights to share @Shaz51 @eth There's also a thread you might find more info on. Hope that helps & all the very best with it! 

@TideisTurning 

Thank you for all that. My mind is made up even further. My answer is still definitely no. I just absolutely cannot be bothered with any if it. I'm sick at the moment do that is my focus. I appreciate you sharing. Cheers. 

Hi @Powderfinger  and welcome to the forums.  Sorry to hear you've decided not to proceed with NDIS access,  but when you feel stronger you may re-think that - if you do you are welcome to ask me any questions you have.  I did have a long battle to get it but I have to say my life has changed significantly for the better since having it.  It was worth the effort.   The thread I started at the beginning of that journey is called Re: Anyone started with the NDIS  and has lots of useful information throughout.  But it is a long thread to read, which is why I suggest you ask me specific questions.

Currently I have support workers 4 - 5 part days a week, a coordinator of supports (CoS), a plan manager and I'm also able to use it for weekly psychology (way more than the mental health care plan and medicare covers).  I also used it to have driving lessons with a mental health occupational therapist.  Plus my CoS did my public housing application with me and I was allocated a priority placement so am now re-learning how to live independently after 4 years living in a cabin in my brother's back yard.  I also get a bit of travel allowance paid to my bank account fortnightly by NDIS.  There are so many more things it can be used for.  

There are some facebook groups that also have a lot of very informed people in them - find the ones for participants only if you can.  I'm not allowed to name them here unfortunately.

Hope you recover from being sick soon.

Regards, Eth.

PS  One of the better aspects of being on NDIS is that it means I have worked out some goals and am taking steps toward achieving them with significant support.  That has really changed my mindset after many years of total isolation and no support. 

I have cPTSD and bipolar 1 so have been able to get NDIS for purely 'psychosocial' reasons (what they call mental health).  You will find the NDIS has a kind of language of their own.  

The first thing to prove is that your disability/ies is/are LIFELONG and significant.  This is not an easy hurdle for people with mental health issues, but can be done as I am proof.

Thank you for sharing @eth. My decision still stands. It will not enrich my life nor assist me in any way. I'm happier without it and I just have to listen to my own gut and what's right for me. Cheers though. I'm also glad you found that you are doing great and much better on it. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance