Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

Healing is exceptionally draining in itself.

It has been 42 weeks and six days today since I cut all contact with my mother. Cutting contact with her meant I lost my sister and niece as well. Triple whammy. 

The only time I contacted her since I cut all contact, was via email once. It was in May or June sometime this year. It was another difficult email to write and a huge process to work through for me before notifying her of my decision. Alot of emotional turmoil to deal with. 

Years back, my mother had put me in charge of everything upon her passing. Absolutely everything. I wasn't asked, I was told. Naturally given my background, I just accepted it and once again stuffed away my emotions, feelings and thoughts. 

I thought well who else is going to do it? I still have a fair bit to work through with that decision of mine. I got in touch via email to notify her to make other arrangements regarding all of it. I kept it in emotional, which was very hard. I never asked anything, I told her which was also hard to do. 

I never offered reasons and excuses. I just said it us not in my best interests to take on any of these roles and be responsible for all the arrangements that will need to be made. 

I had thought about it as if it was happening and it was painful to do. The reality is, it would have been a disaster. I had to think only about myself for once. 

I told her that if the changes did not go ahead, I will go to court and say I cannot take this responsibility on and they will appoint someone else. I found out legally what I could do, in the event of. 

It was a very difficult process for me to go through. I sent off the email. 

The next day I got an email from her saying it's been changed. Nothing else was said in the email.I knew it was a lie. I knew it was bitchiness. I knew she would see herself as a victim. I never responded and still haven't. 

Other than that, there has been no contact. Healing from a lifetime of abuse and extreme toxicity is so very draining and tiring. I'm not out of the woods mentally. 

It's currently a nightmare and a rollercoaster emotionally. I'm slowly coming to.understand that Is can't fix her nor save her. It's been an ingrained pattern for such a very long time. A toxic, abusive pattern. On one hand I'm incredibly drained, on the other I am very relieved that is done. No more fixing or rescuing. I'm also applying that to my life now as well. It's a big discovery how much of my identity has been, I'm the rescuer and fixer. A role I am definitely ready to completely relinquish. In fact, I literally want to throw up at the thought of it. 

My father has been out of my life for ten years now. Still work for me to do around him. I made the decision quite a while back that I would not attend his funeral. I would not be welcome there anyway, so it's a no brainer. I've put strong boundaries down and consequences, that I'm not to be contacted if he is sick, dying or has died. I'm not interested. I have said any and all correspondence regarding the matter will be completely ignored, not read and not responded to. I never got a response. That's fine. As long as my boundaries and decisions got read, that's all I care about. 

My mother was and is still very toxic. Her choices and treatment did massive damage to me and my life. I can't change her. That is the reality. I don't believe she us going to change either. 

Talking about this is hard. I'm.damn angry with her. She really messed with my head and heart. She could have gone and seen a therapist at any time to get help. I read this morning that toxic people enjoy suffering. It means they get to play victim of their own circumstances. They very rarely change. It was a good article. The emotions, feelings, thoughts and memories are so draining that most days I don't want to engage with much as I'm so exhausted. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Healing is exceptionally draining in itself.

I'm really sorry about the toxic abuse you have suffered in your childhood and since then. I'm sad that it's left lasting damage (I can relate). 

@Powderfinger wrote:

She could have gone and seen a therapist at any time to get help. 

I totally agree with this, and have thought this before, in my own parent's case. 

Wishing you many best wishes as you go through this very painful journey of getting to healing, @Powderfinger .

@NatureLover thanks for replying. 

I'm sorry you can relate to me. I'm sorry that anyone is ever in a position to relate. I do not feel sorry for the people who turn out to be just as toxic. I don't even give them my time. Sounds harsh I know. It's my decision though. 

Unfortunately the abuse was from both parents. I don't make excuses for a man who chose not to be a father. I don't know if the why even matters and the thing is, I will more than likely never know why. 

I just don't know what to say. There is so much to say. The realisations are just too painful right now. A lot of confusion. A lot of brainwashing still to undo. 

I don't think I can even call what I feel sadness. I don't know what to call it. I do wish I knew sooner than my 40 years of age what I have been through. I've left. I suppose that's a start. I don't want anything from either of them. Not a sorry, nor an acknowledgement. Just nothing. Not even their love. I need to spend time undoing the brainwashing first. 

I moved 3000 kilometres away and cut all contact. It's necessary to try get my brain right. I understand why some people just don't make it. I have a chance to actually live my life now. I had no chance before. It doesn't mean my struggles are over. They can inflict no more harm or damage to me though. 

I wish you well on your continued healing journey. 

@Powderfinger wrote:

I do not feel sorry for the people who turn out to be just as toxic. I don't even give them my time. Sounds harsh I know. It's my decision though. 

Hi @Powderfinger ...I think this is sensible. The last thing you or I need is more toxic, abusive people...it's wise to avoid them, as we've had too much damage already. 

I'm really sorry you had abuse from both parents...that makes it so much worse 😞

I wanted to say, all this terrible pain and anger you're feeling at the realisations of your lifetime of abuse...it does fade. You get to be able to even mention it without feeling it all again. Of course, sometimes it gets triggered still...but in working through it over many years, it's amazing how you can move on a lot. The damage will always be there to some extent, I will never be fully healed, but a lot of healing can occur through therapy. Having a distance from your parent(s) can also help, which you've done already. I am even back in social contact with my abusive father, although I will never trust him or share with him my personal self, if that makes sense. Just surface stuff, and I limit my time with him and only see him /speak to him occasionally.

Thanks for your good wishes...many good wishes for your healing journey also. 

@NatureLover I want to move on and let go. It's hard. I don't like any of what I'm going through. I'm going to take a break from talking about it all. I need to. Breaks feel so refreshing. I am seeing a therapist but she is new. I wish I had other things besides a therapist. I especially hate anyone telling me what I should do. 

I think it is brave you have contact with one parent. I will never ever speak to HIM again. As for her, I don't know. Right now I just want to focus on myself. They have had enough of me for 40 years. Im done giving them my time and love. 

Thanks for your continued well wishes. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance