Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Got a coping strategy that you find good? Share it here :)

Hi guys

i see many people asking for advice on coping strategies myself including so i thought i would create a thread for everyone to share their favourite coping strategy or a few if you like 🙂

107 REPLIES 107

Re: Got a coping strategy that you find good? Share it here :)

Great idea @Former-Member!

Ummm my best coping strategies are:

• Giving my cat a really big cuddle (he will whinge but I know deep down he loves me)
  • Having a cup of tea (I don't drink tea that much, so when I do it feels a bit fancy) and a biccie and re-reading my favourite book from when I was a kid (think like, famous five, or the magic faraway tree! dont judge!)
  • Hot shower and/or bath
  • Writing out my frustrations with life in a journal

Hope they are ok to get the ball rolling! Do you have any in particular that you use?

Hi @Former-Member and great thread btw!

My favourite coping strategies are:

*  Using mindfulness techniques to eat something I really like (usually chocolate lol)

*  Listening to music or watching funny videos on you tube.

*  Like @Former-Member has suggested, re-reading a book I enjoy, but not necessarily from my childhood.

I'm looking forward to reading some great ideas in here!

@utopia @Pepsimax @Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member heres the coping thread

Hello @Former-Member, @Queenie, @Former-Member Heart

having a cup of Green Tea

and having a soak in epsom salts

Pinterest. Pinterest everything! Make a board of quotes to match your mood or pictures you like or websites that help. Make a secret (or not) venting board.

Wrap yourself in your favourite blanket.

Watch youtube videos of kittens and cats being silly. That's a winner 😄

Learn a new craft. Crochet is great.

Can i keep going?! This is fun 🙂

Walk it off (or swim or run or ride or jump)

Organise something. It's amazing how productive anxiety can be if it's put into/towards something

Call a friend that you haven't spoken to for a while

Write. Anything at all. If you can't think of anything just pick up a pen and paper and start writing anyway. No editing, no worrying about grammar or spelling. (It can be surprising what comes out when you're not really thinking about it)

Hahaha @Former-Member yes keep going, keep going! Loving your ideas.

I feel like I have to add a little warning to your idea about learning a new craft though 😉 I decided about a year ago I should start learning how to knit as a way to be mindful/decompress after work etc. as you do... Turns out knitting IS VERY HARD and it got me so worked up (because I was hopeless at it) that it was more of a hinderance than anything else hahaha.

Having said that, I'm sure others will be much more skilled in that department than me, so please do have a go! (but don't beat yourself up for giving up if necessary) Smiley Embarassed

Haha @Former-Member - sorry i should have put a warning in front of all of these to "be kind to yourself while doing them"! I am a person with a very cool 3/4 finished crochet project way beyond my self taught skill level, that is seriously annoying me right now because i have no ability to concentrate on what I'm doing. It's packed away until I can pull it out without wanting to chop it up. So yes, be gentle 🙂

I enjoy playing music (organ). 

Not that I am any good, find it soothing playing for myself though. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance