Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

Washed one of the sofa covers today as well as half the dog blankets. 

Have got a few more dog blankets washed and donated another item we no longer needed. 

Damp weather. A good time to get some indoor sorting done. 🙂

Younger Daughter wanted to move a wardrobe out of her room a couple of days ago. I did some measurements and decided it would fit well beside a chimney breast in a hallway, and would be storage for some "in progress" sorting for now, and maybe for longer term storage once that's "done". We haven't got a proper linen cupboard, so that might be a good end purpose for it.

Moving the wardrobe involved clearing the spot it was going into. Tetris time! Some boxes got moved aside, along with a smaller cabinet that had been there. (That still needs to find it's proper home.) Some of Hubby's stuff got moved into a little boxroom... which is when I discovered that a leaky gutter was worse than I thought. It's a box gutter, and the water has been damaging the boxroom wall. Not as disasterous as it sounds (I hope) as that wall was going to be rebuilt anyway, and the room hopefully turned into a bathroom... but we'll have to get a plumber in to see to the gutter before it gets any worse.

So, yesterday and today has been sorting through random boxes. The ones I've been doing are mostly filled with stuff that's been "outgrown" by our mostly-adult kids. I'm tossing any total rubbish, putting aside any "keepers", and checking in with them over anything which falls into that grey zone of "sentimental value or junk?"  Have done about four boxes so far, there's a fair bit of rubbish/recycling removed, and a boxful of giveaways, and a few missing items found. I've probably reduced the volume of those to half, and there may be less still once the assorted offspring have looked over the things I want them to check first. 🙂 There's also a Hubby boxful that I found, mostly full of cycling bits and pieces. He'd been wondering where that was...

@Smc  

A few more boxes sorted = yay

Leaking gutter = ☹️ hope you can get it fixed promptly.

Cards all organised @Former-Member for next 2 years in a pretty shoe box. Sympathy cards in a folder. Thank you for the ideas

💙🧡❤️

Yay @Eve7  lovely to hear you have things organised. Do feel free to drop by at any time if you need any further tips on getting something organised or if you want to share any successes that will help encourage the rest of us  😁.

He may not want to be reminded of the drama @Jacques  but @Determined  has had experience of a leaking roof and might be able to let you know how he located the leak at his place.

@Former-Member  @Jacques 

Leak located by heading into roof space during potential downpour.

Some tracing required esp as water usually travels before dripping.

hi @Former-Member and @Determined 

thanks for the kind help, yes, it would be so easy to just get up into the roof, i so wish i could but the part of the roof leaking is an addon room and the gap is only 10cm so i could not even come close to fitting i was thinking of using a camera like the plumbers use

hello @Jacques , @Former-Member , @Determined@Eve7@Smc 

hope the leaks are fixed soon 

our washing machine leaked on the right side on to the floor and today it leaked on the floor on the left side 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance