Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

nashy
Senior Contributor

Caring for Carers - One of our SANE PA's shares her thoughts

Hello wonderful carers community 🎉🎉🎉

You may remember last year an event we ran with our wonderful SANE Peer Ambassador, Sarah Sutton (you can read over the event here). The event was all about navigating the NDIS. 

Recently, Sarah participated in a webinar with Lived Experience Australia which focused on ‘Caring for Carers’ – it has some great insights and pieces of advice around looking after yourself as a carer and how to work alongside health professionals in advocating for those you love and care for.

You can check out the webinar on Vimeo here

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

If you do watch the webinar, let's reflect on some of the points covered Smiley Very Happy

• Are you familiar with the Carers Recognition Act?
  • Are you familiar with the Mental Health Act? Would you feel comfortable discussing these acts with health professionals?
  • What additional supports have you been reaching out to in this COVID period?
  • Have you created a personal self-care routine?

Leave your answers below Smiley Very Happy Let's support each other around caring for carers Heart

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Caring for Carers - One of our SANE PA's shares her thoughts

@nashy 

I listened to some but not all of the webinar.

I am not comfortable discussing my state's mental health Act as I believe that not only is it vague in part and onerous on treating teams but that in relation to patient care it breaches the federal-state Mental Health Agreement as well as human rights. 

On moving here I wrote to my local MP and the health minister clearly  setting out the perceived breaches. 

The webinar was a reminder to me follow up with the appropriate personnel in the Chief Psychiatrists office that look at mental health reform. 

102400744_10158087761300071_3053715704437014528_o.jpg

@Former-Member Thanks so much for sharing. The red tape in the system, and the conflicting policies, certainly seems to be a recurring challenge for all affected by mental health especially those caring for loved ones. I send you strength and a wealth of support, and I really liked the quote image - a powerful reminder @Former-Member thank you. Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance